Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    Just might want to rethink the designer made up combos. They aren't as reliable as an actual breed. Since you are concerned about knowing specific details and those aren't really breeds. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We considered a mix but for the money we were spending we decided to go with a pure bred. Finding a reputable breeder is a must!

Quote Originally Posted by barkley1 View Post
    This why I am wary of purebreds. My labs growing up ALL had serious hip issues and other health problems. My fav dog is the King Charles Cavalier, but MAN, if you google their health issues, it's scary. That's why I was thinking Cavapoo - I know the decreased shedding wouldn't be a guarantee, but was hoping it would minimize it. Also, as i stated in my OP, the electric fence would only be IF needed; no breeder has suggested one to me.

As far as the Whoodles, the breeder has been doing this for 25 years. She crate trains and socializes each dog. My good friend is on her second Whoodle from her, and has nothing but love for this breeder's dogs. She offers a two year temperament guarantee, as well as health etc..will take the dog back and replace.

This isn't a decision I take lightly at all - there's no way I'd get a designer breed from a random "reputable breeder" without some serious investigation, references, etc. I just can't see that this is a crapshoot as much as a mutt from the pound when these people do this year after year after year. They know their dogs, and they know their puppies when they sell them....at least the ones I've been looking at online. There are even degrees of breeding, such as a cross being bred with a purebred...F1, F2 etc so maybe sometimes there is a little more certainty. IDK.

I have looked at all the nonshedding dogs, and none of them really appeal to me as much as these two mixes. Again, I'm wanting to avoid health issues down the road, and hoping to get the best of both worlds in 2 great dog breeds. Of course, I do realize it's taking a chance anytime you get an animal, whether it will end up being a good or problem pet - this is probably why we have waited so long, ha!!
    The guarantee just means your dog is disposable as they are generally euthanized. I can't imagine having a dog for months let alone years and returning it like a pair of shoes. Ugh. That is sort of the issue with the commodity like breeding for cash of "designer dogs." They don't show them, there are no real standards and no breeders are reputable in the same way a good AKC breeder is since their only motive, 100%, is profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hey, OP, did you end up coming to any decision? We found three reputable breeders of labradoodles in our area and ended up choosing one today. We get our puppy next week! Happening pretty quickly but he was available and a good fit, so here we go!
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

,I know this isn't on your list but a straight-up poodle is a FANTASTIC dog!! No need to add any other dogs to the mix...they are perfect just as they are. We have 2 standard poodles (a black/blue and a red) who range between 47-50#. I am guessing too big for your needs but a miniature poodle would be a great mid-size 20#-ish option. They do require regular grooming but any non-shedding "hypoallergenic" dog will also require grooming. People seem to not like the poodle cut but you can honestly keep the hair longer...they don't need a fancy cut.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have a Whoodle! Wow, I never expected anyone to narrow their search down to one of these guys because they're not that common. We LOVE him, he's pretty much the cutest dog I've ever seen. I'm super allergic to dogs and cats, and I am not allergic to him b/c both Poodles and Wheaton Terriers have hypoallergenic fur.

The pros: adorable, sweet temperament, very loving and attached, very intelligent and trainable, great size (22 lbs), hypoallergenic, zero shedding. He is amazing with other dogs and animals. Did I mention trainable? He is so quick at learning new tricks and knowing the "rules" of the house.

The cons: Grooming - they need regular brushing and haircuts every couple of months. His terrier side means he likes to dig (but is learning to dig in only one spot in our yard), and he barks every time someone is near our front door or even out on the sidewalk. He also still plays with us with his teeth, meaning that when he gets very excited he starts to nip or mouth us as a way of playing. He sometimes tries to "herd" younger DD by nipping at her heels - don't understand this since he isn't a shepherd! We have tried many things - ignoring him when he mouths, giving him chew toys, saying no, etc. We are planning to get a trainer to deal with barking and mouthing issues - I'm better with teaching him how to do things than how not to do things!

We got him at age 1, and had not been well socialized as a pup, so he is afraid of new people (which is why he barks but also tries to hide behind us). So I would encourage exposing your new pup to lots of people early on, and also getting him trained - I guess this is true for any dog you get and not unique to this breed.
    Last edited by citymama; 03-10-2017 at 05:19 PM.

for Sandy Hook

We are waiting for our Lagotto Romagnolo puppy to be born. You may want to look into that breed as it seems to meet your criteria. Breeders are not so easy to find, though. We will be flying to another state to get him.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    We are waiting for our Lagotto Romagnolo puppy to be born. You may want to look into that breed as it seems to meet your criteria. Breeders are not so easy to find, though. We will be flying to another state to get him.
    I met some at a dog show awhile back and fell in love! Please post once you get him.
    I am trying to plan what our next dog will be. Our current dog is getting older and I don't want to make heartbroken, impulsive decision....like our current dog was. Lucky she is a wonderful dog!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by azzeps View Post
    Hey, OP, did you end up coming to any decision? We found three reputable breeders of labradoodles in our area and ended up choosing one today. We get our puppy next week! Happening pretty quickly but he was available and a good fit, so here we go!
    DH had decided that he is actually NOT quite ready to take the plunge right now...we're going to wait about 6 months so have more time to think. BUT, I do adore the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel...if only it didn't shed so much. The internet says "some", my friend that has one says " a lot". So, we will probably go with the Whoodle. We know someone that has gotten 2 puppies from this breeder, we trust her to do all the right things based on my friend having a personal relationship with her, etc...Also, we can watch our friend's Whoodle grow up a little more and see how it does before we make our decision. I love the Cavapoos, but I guess it just comes down to the fact that I don't know a reputable breeder right now.
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by barkley1 View Post
    BUT, I do adore the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel...if only it didn't shed so much. The internet says "some", my friend that has one says " a lot".

Two of our four dogs are Cavalier King Charles. I absolutely LOVE this breed!! I do agree with your friend though. They shed a lot.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    We got a water dog, too. Ours is a Spanish Water Dog. SWDs are often mentioned in the same group as the Lagotto Romagnolos even though they are quite different in temperament and skills. We love our SWD!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast