3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Toyota owners - question about Homelink (garage door opener)

We recently bought a new Toyota Sequoia and I programmed the Homelink garage door opener. However, because that car is rarely in our garage I'm concerned about someone breaking in and opening the garage.

We also have a Mercedes GL450, and in that car the garage opener doesn't work without the key in the ignition. The Sequoia allows us to operate the homelink without the key in, however it's not clear if the system would cut off if it detected an unauthorized entry.

Does anyone know if 1) there's a way in which to set up homelink in the Sequoia such that it requires the key to operate, and/or 2) the system cuts off in the event of an unauthorized entry? TIA
    Last edited by 3isEnough; 02-25-2017 at 12:46 AM.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My new Honda Pilot does this, too. It's so strange! Such an obvious security risk.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If you leave your key in the house can you open the garage from inside the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For some reason, I thought the key had to just be in the car (not in the ignition) for the Homelink to work. Namely, if your key is not with you and not even in the car, you cannot open the garage via Homelink. The key doesn't have to be in the ignition, but if it is near you in the car, Homelink works. Like Ellie's Mom mentioned, I would try using Homelink in the car without your key with you at all.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Ooh good idea about leaving the key in the house, I'll try that!

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

OP, is there an update? Did you find out any further info?
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

I have a Honda, not a Toyota, but you don't need the key at all to operate the Homelink. My car has been unlocked in my driveway for hours and I just opened the door and used the homelink to open my garage (the key is in my house). I would guess anything that sets off the alarm would disable the homelink but I try not to annoy my neighbors with honking so I haven't tested that. If the car is locked with the fob and then opened from inside (this would include breaking a window and opening the door) the alarm will go off and I imagine the homelink is disabled. I don't really worry about the security because I live in an area where you can break into the average home by turning the doorknob. If you are worried I think the best option is to actually unpair the homelink.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13