Default Hashimito's thyroiditis question

I'm gonna call my doc on Monday but of course this is coming up on Friday night. So I'm wondering if anyone has any BTDT advice. I've had HT for like 15 years. I'm on synthroid. I've been noticing some hypo symptoms for awhile and was just waiting to see the doc until my annual which is coming in march. Then maybe a week ago I noticed some swelling. Now it's painful and REALLY swollen. To the point that swallowing is painful and somewhat difficult. It's not my throat...like not strep or something. It's very obviously my thyroid. I'm taking ibuprofen with no effect. It feels good to ice it, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea??? Anyone have any ideas. My pain level is maybe a 6 or 7 at times and I would be in the ER if I didn't already have an HT diagnosis so I'm really looking for relief. I had an attack similar to this many years ago, but I did go to the hospital that time and I'm pretty sure they just did an ultrasound and put me on prednisone and anti-inflammatories so it feels like that would be a waste of $$ and resources for a non-urgent issue. Any experience?
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm sorry you are not getting answers here but it sounds like a pretty specialized question. Does your doctor have an on call line? I would try to call them and talk to your doc or another person in the practice, I have done that several times over the years.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I would go in. I had a huge nodule on my thyroid and it wasn't painful to swallow.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Normally I'd wait and see, but I would go to the ER for this because if the swelling gets worse, it could block your airway. Sorry, and I hope you get better ASAP.

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Could it be a thyroglossal duct cyst? I had one years ago and it was quite painful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyroglossal_cyst

I agree with going in if you haven't already, at least to somewhere like an urgent care that has ultrasound capabilities if not the ER.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019