Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default What to do with bok choi

I planted bok choi seeds for 'fun' and they did great. I am not a huge stir fry fan. Any great ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Soup? I take Trader Joe's Miso Ginger broth, bok choi, and their frozen potstickers and make an easy soup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Soup? I take Trader Joe's Miso Ginger broth, bok choi, and their frozen potstickers and make an easy soup.

Ok, stupid question. Do you use the leaves, stems or both?

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Pretty sure when we had it in our CSA last summer I just drizzled it with olive oil, sprinkled with garlic salt and oven roasted it. That was my method with any odd vegetable that I didn't know how to prepare! My girls love cabbage cooked that way as well.

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We usually do stir fry ours, with garlic, toasted sesame oil, and a bit of soy sauce (both our girls love it) - but it sounds like you have some other good suggestions. We use both leaves and stems, but add the leaves toward the end of any cooking - they cook fast.

I have also seen some good salad recipes around. And noodle dishes as well. There are several "Victory Garden" type cook books out there, that provide recipes based on an item harvested from the garden - might be worth browsing the bok choi recipes in one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    Ok, stupid question. Do you use the leaves, stems or both?

I slice off the bottom part (where it's connected together) then wash it (since dirt likes to get stuck in those areas), then slice it up...so both leaves and stems.

DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I slice off the bottom part (where it's connected together) then wash it (since dirt likes to get stuck in those areas), then slice it up...so both leaves and stems.

+1 for soup. Wash and slice stems and leaves as noted above. Simmer chicken broth (Costco or homemade, yum), add sliced cremini or ****ake mushrooms and those frozen mini chicken cilantro dumplings from Costco. Add bok choi once the dumplings and mushrooms are cooked. I spike mine with a little sriracha and serve with sliced scallions. If time and pantry permits, you can add a little minced ginger or garlic and sautée the mushrooms lightly before adding broth. Or include other savory pan-asian flavors or ingredients to the pot like tofu, ramen or udon noodles, soy sauce, leftover wonton or egg roll wrappers stacked and sliced like flat pasta, whatever suits your palate.
    DS 2014

Apparently ****ake aren't allowed.

Oh ****ake
    DS 2014

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love bok choy and we buy it regularly from Trader Joe's. I stirfry it with garlic and olive oil. I use all parts except the really tough part where its connected. I put it all in at the same time, unless I have a lot of patience and cook the stems for a minute or two before. I make another pan with cubed tofu and serve it all together with brown rice and soy sauce.

Sometimes I add mushrooms. It is one of my quickest, most favorite meals!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Braised!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast