Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

For me, there is also the puzzle-piece element of fitting three kids schedules and my own life in. I start a constant running list from about 2:30- 6 pm of "What day is it, what child is doing what, how are they getting home, what pickup times do I need to honor, where am I going around town, and can I fit this all in." I build my family schedules really well, and it's usually all workable, but I do have to do a near daily mental checklist that four pieces are in place, at multiple points in time. If something changes to throw the schedule off, it takes an extra 50% of communicating and running the list.

DH is not very good at weekday pickups at all. He often has or chooses to work, plus since we carpool in the morning but I leave work in the afternoon, he often doesn't have a vehicle. And he has trouble managing his own schedule; he can do ok with a regular, predictable commitment to pickup one kid, but involve a second or third kid, a change in plans, a school vacation, and he cannot keep it straight. And he'll dump a scheduled kid pickup to do a meeting for work at the drop of a hat, always assuming that I will handle it.
    Last edited by american_mama; 03-29-2017 at 12:23 AM.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I didn't click on this thread for a long time because I also thought it had to do with cat sitting lol!!!

I would kill for a weekend or week away by myself. I've told DH before that I would love to just "disappear" for two weeks. I don't think he'd be able to handle it all though. The drop offs and pickups, laundry, grocery shopping and meal planning, remembering all the extracurriculars. And I'd love to throw in some doctor's and dentist's appointments in there too! With a SAH wife he's never had the mental stress of anything child or house related and can just focus 100% of his energy on work every day.

I haven't had more than one day alone in over 13 years!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I would kill for a weekend or week away by myself. I've told DH before that I would love to just "disappear" for two weeks. I don't think he'd be able to handle it all though. The drop offs and pickups, laundry, grocery shopping and meal planning, remembering all the extracurriculars. And I'd love to throw in some doctor's and dentist's appointments in there too! With a SAH wife he's never had the mental stress of anything child or house related and can just focus 100% of his energy on work every day.

I haven't had more than one day alone in over 13 years!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    except it's 9 years for me. I thought I would spend a lot of my time out of the house once DS2 started school but I find that I just love being home alone. I have to convince myself to go shopping and usually only do so if I'm meeting someone. My DC get out for summer break in early June and I'm trying to make the most of the quiet days before then.

Hope you enjoyed your week nicci!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2