Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Poke around AirBnB and just see rates. You never know. We got a great apartment in Montreal for so much less than a hotel. Now, you do need to make sure it's legal there as it wasn't in Montreal unless X protocols were adhered to by the owner.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would figure out a way to go to vancouver. I'd expect it would cost about 3k to go to Switzerland with DH which from what you explained would be a lot of $$ for such a trip ($2k for the flights and 1k for hotel, food etc -- it could run more I just think 3k is a minimum and that is for a long weekend not a longer stay). I think paying off debt and saving for a home are pretty important. I'd also figure out a budget for travel (scouts, vancouver, DC and other trips you've done or plan to do) and see if that is a good $ for that sort of thing. Travel can sneak up on me as a major expense when I add it all up. Setting an annual budget could help you meet your goals and not exceed your planned cashflow.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

klwa is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would try for Vancouver. If DH & I were to take a big splashy trip, I would want to be able to focus on what we want and where we want, not trying to shoehorn a vacation into someone else's wedding/reception. Especially if we were to need to take on debt in order to do it. I'd hold off on the big trip until you can swing it with less worry. Or at least be the ones picking the destination, etc.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    I would figure out a way to go to vancouver. I'd expect it would cost about 3k to go to Switzerland with DH which from what you explained would be a lot of $$ for such a trip ($2k for the flights and 1k for hotel, food etc -- it could run more I just think 3k is a minimum and that is for a long weekend not a longer stay). I think paying off debt and saving for a home are pretty important. I'd also figure out a budget for travel (scouts, vancouver, DC and other trips you've done or plan to do) and see if that is a good $ for that sort of thing. Travel can sneak up on me as a major expense when I add it all up. Setting an annual budget could help you meet your goals and not exceed your planned cashflow.
    Thank you for this. It is helpful. I think I need to be clear that this trip would definitely exceed our annual budget! The only way we could afford to go would be for both of us to increase our hours(me)/extra income (DH) at work and also to economize in the monthly budget (on things like allowance, eating out, date night, and possibly trying to reduce the grocery bill!)

I think I'm inclined to skip this time. Like a PP said, if it was my sister's wedding then I'd figure out a way to go. It is related to her wedding but it is just a reception and I can go to the Vancouver one without negatively affecting my finances.

(It still sounds SOOO fun though! I'm mourning a little bit inside!)

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'd also do the Vancouver one. Part of the fun of weddings for me is the family aspect, so I'd want to be at the one most of my family is at.

Switzerland is an amazing place to vacation, and I definitely think it's worth saving for a trip there, but it doesn't sound like you can stay nearly long enough to make it worth it to spend that much money on plane tickets. Switzerland is also pretty expensive. I recently traveled there (I live in Europe though so it was different as we drove!), and was surprised at how expensive things were. We did AirBnB and that was reasonable (I think we paid ~$130/night for a 3-bedroom apartment -- although it is kinda the in-between season right now and I think rates are higher in the summer (or winter). Food costs are super high. We mostly brought our own food and cooked at our apartment (and ate sandwiches for lunch, so I'm clearly in the camp that thinks you can have a good vacation while eating sandwiches, lol!) But, we ate one casual lunch out and three meals was over $70! So if you're eating out costs will shoot up fast. Even buying food at the grocery store there was more expensive than I'm used to. Transportation costs also seemed high there. So, plan high for costs.

Anyhow, I think it's well worth it to take a trip to Europe, but it doesn't seem like you're in exactly the right place to do it. I think rather than committing to the trip before you have the money saved (with only plans for how to cover it), I'd be more comfortable waiting to take a trip after the money is already saved -- and you have the time and money to stay long enough to make it worth it (which to me is a minimum of a week or longer).
    Lizi

I was struck by your saying something to the effect that you think if you don't seize the opportunity to go now you may never go. I vote for the splurge to Switzerland. Saving and paying down debt are really important, but so is seizing the opportunity to do something extraordinary when you have the chance. You don't know where life will take you. Go have a wonderful adventure. Take lots of photos. Enjoy meeting your brother-in-law's family. Then come home and get right back down to the business of saving again. I'm a conservative spender, but I do believe that experiences are worth the money. If you can afford it, take the vacation to a place you've never been and may not be likely to go again. I don't think you'll regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bnme is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Whether or not you can afford it/should splurge or if your DH should skip his event is really such a personal decision so I can't really comment. I just wanted to add that I don't think you should not go to Europe just because you'd have to eat sandwichs, or be frugal in general. With that attitude, you may never get to Europe. You may never be able to afford or choose to go on a $7k+ vacation. Things like that are not in everyone's realm of possibility.
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Are you close to your sister? Do you see yourself doing things with her as a family in the future? Does your sister have a preference as to which event you attend?

Unless your sister really wants you to go to Switzerland, I think I would go to the reception in Vancouver because it would be a great opportunity to spend time with the rest of your family. The reception in Switzerland would be a neat event to attend because it would allow you to experience local hospitality. But, if you see yourself doing things with your sister's family in the future, perhaps you can visit Switzerland with her when she visits her family. Then, you may get to spend time with her in-laws but have more flexibility in the visit because the schedule will not be centered around the reception.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I echo a lot of the sentiment here, and just want to highlight the fact that Switzerland is only one country in Europe. And one of the most $$ ones. If Switzerland has been the main country you've always wanted to visit, then I think I would go for it. But, if you just want to go to "Europe," then I suspect there may be other countries higher on your list, and you should probably wait/plan/save a bit more before heading over the pond.

Regardless of the cost, most (all?) of your family will be in Vancouver. I am sure your mom wants family pix at the reception, etc. I *think* it would mean more to your family to have you at the Vancouver reception.

As for Europe--you can absolutely do it very cheap. Pick up a Lonely Planet guidebook, stay in a pension or stay outside the city, etc. But it sounds like even that would be a stretch right now. As for feeling like you will never go?? Keep saving--especially those miles. You can take some great vacations by having the flight paid for! And your kids will leave home eventually--you can do more traveling then and the money situation *should* be better.

Bottom line. I would wait. But I would be building my dream trip in my head!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast