Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default PLEASE HELP me dress my unSparkly/unRuffle-ly/unPink 12yo DD (beg beg)

I am constantly struggling with DD1. She HATES everything other than soccer shorts, tees, hoodies, and running shoes. She does own some skinny denims and a pair of brown tall boots that she occasionally wears to church volunteering but other than that it's a real struggle. My grandmother passed away and we have a wake and funeral to attend. She has a black outfit for band performances that she can wear one day but I am at a loss for the other day. My aunt said that she's doesn't really need to wear black but she really needs another "nice" outfit. She HATES everything that I buy for her and she's the grumpiest shopper EVER whenever I take her to pick something out herself. So far she has refused a plain navy open front sweater and long sleeve white tee, plain blue Justice sweater, and several other plain items. I just need something to go with the black skinny bottoms from her band outfit. Please help. It seems so basic but she refuses everything. She is just sooooo opposite DD2 who is all about pink, sparkles, and shopping.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Maybe tell her refusing isn't an option. Take her out to shop and tell her if she doesn't find something appropriate that she chooses by the end of the shopping trip, you'll pick something and she'll wear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If your daughter is as picky as you say about her clothes I dont think you will get any winning outfits suggested here. I would tell her you are bringing her to the mall to pick something out and if she cant pick a top out to go with her black pants, then you will do it for her, or she can wear the same outfit twice.

I have a 11.5 year old DD and I thought I had it bad with her. but she will wear dresses and sweaters, but usually she has to choose her things for herself.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Yes...that's my plan if I cannot find something today without her. I just remembered that she has her 5th grade graduation outfit. It's very light, breezy and beachy...not what I would think for a wake BUT sometimes that's what is needed in sad times, right? My aunt wants DD2 to wear her sparkly pink Easter dress because my grandma would have loved it and it's very DD2. I know that I will at least be able to have DD1 keep her gorgeous long hair out of a ponytail...baby steps... We'll see...
    Mom to:
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DD sounds pretty similar. I had no idea what we were going to do when she needed a nice dress for a school function last year. We ended up going to one store at the mall with a friend. Both girls needed dresses for the same event and DD ended up finding a couple of things that worked. Going with a friend was the key. I think DD's biggest problem was that she has developed a self-imposed identity as "girl who doesn't wear girly things." By shopping with a friend she was able to see that people wouldn't make a big deal if they saw her in a dress. So, any friends you can meet at the mall or department store?

Quote Originally Posted by kristenk View Post
    My DD sounds pretty similar. I had no idea what we were going to do when she needed a nice dress for a school function last year. We ended up going to one store at the mall with a friend. Both girls needed dresses for the same event and DD ended up finding a couple of things that worked. Going with a friend was the key. I think DD's biggest problem was that she has developed a self-imposed identity as "girl who doesn't wear girly things." By shopping with a friend she was able to see that people wouldn't make a big deal if they saw her in a dress. So, any friends you can meet at the mall or department store?
    This is a FANTASTIC idea!! Thank you!!! So true!!!

Mom to:
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    Maybe tell her refusing isn't an option. Take her out to shop and tell her if she doesn't find something appropriate that she chooses by the end of the shopping trip, you'll pick something and she'll wear it.

This would be my tactic also!
    K

Thank you! I am actually wandering aimlessly around the girls section at Target now.

Mom to:
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

94bruin is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't have any answers for you but I feel for you! It's hard to dress my 11 year old for functions outside of school. Skirts/dresses are a big no-no in her book. This is the same girl who would veto items that didn't some pink or purple on them. OR if it had any black on the clothing, that was a no. Now it's the total opposite! We are planning on doing a photoshoot this summer and while I don't want her to dress out of her comfort zone, she cannot wear tees and hoodies.
    DD1 2005
    DD2 2009

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast