Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Do you know of a school?

This is a long shot, but we are getting desperate!

We are looking for a high school for an Asperger's child who needs a challenging curriculum, but has deficits in the realm of social skills and non-verbal communication!

Preferably in the North East, but anywhere in the US!

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I don't know if any of these have a challenging curriculum, or if they can taylor the curriculum to each child, but here's a list of special ed schools that I found online. http://www.masters-in-special-educat...needs-schools/. I'm only familiar with two of the school in the Midwest, Miriam and Brehm, and I hear great things about both.

Also, what about Eagle Hill in Greenwich? They go to 12th grade. There is also Villa Maria in Stamford, but that only goes to 9th grade.

Would you be willing to compromise on the academics? I don't know what your kid's deficits are, but maybe it would benefit him to go to a school that helps him with those deficits for a year or so and then transition to a more rigorously academic school, and maybe repeat 9th if necessary.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cuca_ View Post

Would you be willing to compromise on the academics? I don't know what your kid's deficits are, but maybe it would benefit him to go to a school that helps him with those deficits for a year or so and then transition to a more rigorously academic school, and maybe repeat 9th if necessary.
    We are currently at a school compromising on academics. DC is so bored that the self-creation of challenges is creating a huge problem. Every day DC comes home begging for academics and the fact that everything is a review is taking it's toll on self-esteem. Thanks for the list.

Have you considered Franklin Academy in East Haddam, CT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What about a school for gifted kids? There is a new one that just opened up outside Philly.

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    We are currently at a school compromising on academics. DC is so bored that the self-creation of challenges is creating a huge problem. Every day DC comes home begging for academics and the fact that everything is a review is taking it's toll on self-esteem. Thanks for the list.
    I understand. Any chance you can do a hybrid program? Meaning he spends some of the time at school and part at home. Maybe he can go to a school where he receives the help he needs for part of the day and then spend the rest of the day at home with you or a tutor providing a more challenging curriculum. Or the other way around -- spend part of the day at a challenging school and part of the day receiving the help/therapies/interventions he needs.

We did this with my DD who had ADHD and LDs and it worked great. I was worried about home schooling her full time because she loves the social aspect of school.

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think Philly mom is talking about one that is located close to me. From what I know of it - it may be one for you to look into!

https://www.aimpa.org/

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey0709 View Post
    I think Philly mom is talking about one that is located close to me. From what I know of it - it may be one for you to look into!

https://www.aimpa.org/

It's not actually the one I was originally thinking of, but I should have thought of this one. I have a colleague whose kid is here and loves it. This was the one I was thinking about but AIM is probably even better. http://thegraysonschool.org/our-program/

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS1 has a friend at Bridges Academy out here in Studio City, CA. She transferred from our charter school last year and appears to be doing really well. Her brother just transferred there as well after having a horrible start at another local public middle school.

It's described as "a college prep school (grades 4-12) serving twice-exceptional (or "2e") learners—students are who gifted and highly gifted but who also have learning differences such as Autism, AD/HD, executive functioning challenges, processing deficits, mild dyslexia, and anxiety."

http://www.bridges.edu/

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I was reading about the Flex School in NJ the other day. Sounds promising, but I have no personal experience with it.

There's a decent list here: http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/schools.htm#unj
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast