diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default how to dress kids for a kids triathlon?

our dd8 is doing a kids tri in our town and was wondering in what/how you dress them?

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

If it's anything like the one my daughter did at that age, anything goes. Some kids had full professional looking gear, others wore whatever sporty clothes they had.

We made sure our daughter had a decent one piece Speedo-type suit, but I honestly can't remember her other choices. Surely just sport shorts and a sport tee she already had on hand.

Good luck to her!

azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

how exciting!

I think the swimming is first, right? So you want some shorts that are easy to pull on over a wet suit, I think!

Good luck to her!
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

Lots of girls will wear a one piece swim suit for the swim, and then throw on some loose shorts for the bike and run. That is certainly easy enough. If you could get her inexpensive compression type shorts (not actual cycling shorts) and an athletic, tighter fitting top that would be best. (like something you might find at Target) That way she can just swim, bike and run in the same outfit. I assume she doesn't have clip in pedals--she just bikes in tennis shoes or whatever? So she will come out of the water, use wash cloth to dry off her feet quick, then put on socks and shoes and her bike helmet.

For the run--if she is doing the bathing suit with shorts idea, then have a really light tank top or t shirt with her bib number pinned to it. That way she comes into the bike-run transition and she takes off the helmet, racks the bike, and throws the t shirt over her head and goes. I use a belt that holds my number. I just grab it and then snap it around my waist as I run out. I think for a kids first tri, I would do the t shirt idea. Or maybe they won't have them wear run bib numbers????

You could also have a water bottle at her transition area so she can get a quick drink while she is in transition area. Use an old towel folded in half to put on the ground and arrange her stuff. Have her practice her transitions for 20 minutes a day for 3 days in a row before the event. It will make a huge difference!!!

If you have any more questions, post away. Warning--they are really fun and if you get hooked.....
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

thank you all for the replies. I will register her this week, but I am pretty sure the swim is the first event. we have a one piece swimsuit and will do it simple with easy to pull on shorts and easy to slip on top t-shirt. so we will need to pack, 2 towels and 2 water bottles for 2 transition areas correct? besides the bike, helmet, shoes-socks, shirt and shorts. we are all excited, I have never seen one, let alone do one. So its all new learning for us all...

Find out if there are 2 transition area--there is usually just one. So you have everything thing all on one towel
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Also have her wear the socks she will use for a couple of hours the day before. This loosens them up and makes them easier to put on after the swim
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

Our gym has hosted one for the last 5 years or so. They swim, bike then run (at least that's how they do. We set up their bike in the transition area with their towel to dry off, shirt w bib number, socks and sneakers and water bottle. Then helmet and bike. Definitely practice! Ours is for fun but that can really slow them down, ESP bc they are wet. LAst year my DD just ran/biked in her speedo bathing suit and shirt. Before she's worn shorts. The boys just ran in their trunks and t shirts. There's been a few hard cores kids in real gear and racing bikes. Most kids just ride whatever they have for neighborhood. Last year three of my kids participated.
    They have a blast!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

My DD wears the C9 sports shorts and tops for a swim suit regularly. Maybe those shorts at least over the swim suit so she's ready to bike?
    Kris