citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Help! Need an Angelica Schuyler dress for DD (Hamilton)!

Any ideas for how to simulate an Angelica Schuyler dress for DD1 to wear for a school performance? I am 100% hopeless at sewing or crafting. I have looked on ebay and Etsy and I don't want to spend the hundreds of dollars to buy one. I looked at Aurora dresses but couldn't find one in her size (12-14). I ordered a long peach dress from Justice but it won't be here in time (the performance is next week!). Would love any help locating something that looks something like the real Angelica dress or a way to improvise one. Thank you!

(Angelica is the one in the middle in the peach dress. Photo also available here if you can't view the attachment.)

angelica schuyler.jpg

for Sandy Hook

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Could you adapt any of these: https://www.littledressupshop.com/tw...s-dresses.html
    If you're unsure about sizing, I have found that the Little Dress Up Shop is really great about helping with sizing questions. I bought a number of things from them before DGD2 got tired of being a princess and they were very good quality.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We got one from an etsy store called kellyscostumes after struggling to find another dress that looked enough like Angelica last Halloween. Maybe you can use a Sleeping Beauty costume since the pink reads similar to peach? Or a shorter peach dress?

oops, just read that you already thought of Aurora/Sleeping Beauty

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

sdjeppa is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Do you have any costume stores or any community theater type places nearby? They all rent costumes near me. We have rented some amazing costumes in the past. Might be worth asking around.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You guys are each awesome for replying. I tried Little Dress up Shop but it probably wouldn't get here in time due to the long weekend (had no idea there was any place selling princess costumes for tweens! Kellys Costumes looks amazing but too $$ for me and probably wouldn't get here in time. We did try a few local costume stores but no luck.

What do you guys think about getting a crinoline like this and wearing with a fitted top? (Suggestions for that welcome). This is just $20 and seems pretty awesome although movement restricting. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GR5ERCI...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I assume they would need to wear tights or leggings inside since it's probably sheer. What I like is the other two girls could get blue and yellow versions of this so they're all in costume, and it's just $20! Any suggestions for a top?
    Last edited by citymama; 05-26-2017 at 06:37 PM.

for Sandy Hook

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    You guys are each awesome for replying. I tried Little Dress up Shop but it probably wouldn't get here in time due to the long weekend (had no idea there was any place selling princess costumes for tweens! Kellys Costumes looks amazing but too $$ for me and probably wouldn't get here in time. We did try a few local costume stores but no luck.

What do you guys think about getting a crinoline like this and wearing with a fitted top? (Suggestions for that welcome). This is just $20 and seems pretty awesome although movement restricting. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GR5ERCI...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I assume they would need to wear tights or leggings inside since it's probably sheer. What I like is the other two girls could get blue and yellow versions of this so they're all in costume, and it's just $20!
    I think that's a really good idea. The size of that skirt will make a big impact and will help it really look like a costume, versus just a fancy dress.

It would be fun to play with too.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post

I assume they would need to wear tights or leggings inside since it's probably sheer. What I like is the other two girls could get blue and yellow versions of this so they're all in costume, and it's just $20! Any suggestions for a top?
    Get a cream-colored peasant top to stand in for a shift (this one's available at K-mart; bonus if it's long enough to cover your DD1's backside; also get a half-slip if you can find one - and WTF is up with THAT (rant for another day!)) and top with a l/s peach-colored wrap top? (Yellow for Peggy; Aqua for Eliza)

Buy a yard or two of 5" wide eyelet in the same color as the white/cream top ("shift") and use fabric glue or fusible interfacing or quickly stitch it to the cuff of the under-blouse for shift-cuffs.

Alternately, you could use a long tank-top instead of a whole under-blouse, but really stage lights have a MAJOR x-ray effect, so even though multiple layers will be HOT, I think your DD and her co-performers will want more layers underneath than fewer.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle