Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Feeling Sorry for DS

I feel so bad for my 5 yr old DS. Last weekend we were at a birthday party at a nearby park. My SIL (who is a pediatrician) wanted to take him and my older DS to the playground to play, so DH and I could sit and eat. Not 5 minutes later older DS comes running saying younger DS is bleeding. He fell on the steps of the structure and had a huge gash in his chin. We had to take him to the ER where he had to be sedated and needed 15 stitches, a row of internal and a row of external stitches. When we went to his follow up on Tuesday things we're looking fine, and he was scheduled to get them out today. When we went today, not only was it not healed enough to get the stitches out, the doctor said it looked redder than it did on Tuesday and she is worried it is getting infected. So now he has to be on antibiotics, and has to wait until next week to get the stitches out. He was so sad!! His school has a policy that if a student has stitches or a cast they have to sit in the office at recess and lunch. He LOVES to run around outside. We have no yard, so his outside time at school is the favorite part of his day. He is just crushed. His teacher said that his classmates fight to get to be the one to be his buddy and sit in the office with him, so he isn't by himself, but still it just sucks for him. I also feel such guilt for letting my SIL take him to play. She always gives us a hard time for being so over protective of him, and then he goes and gets hurt within 5 minutes of her watching him. I know in the grand scheme of things this is such a minor thing, but it is just really bothering me.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Poor kid! Hope he is better quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Poor kiddo. And don't beat yourself up for letting your SIL watch him, it sounds like just one of those things. Falling on the steps doesn't sound like she wasn't keeping an eye on him.

That policy sounds a little over the top!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DD has had falls or crash incidents that involved needing stitches three times.

Each time, it was a freak thing.

Seriously, I could have been two inches behind her (I actually was the 2nd time!) and it wouldn't have helped at all last time!

It's really not from inattentiveness, especially at 5yrs old; it's because kids sometimes get hurt. Sometimes that hurt means stitches; other times, it's just a scrape. Don't beat yourself up.

I agree that the school policy is way over the top and reeks of CYA to me. I'd understand, say, a child with a leg cast or sprained ankle, needing to sit inside, but stitches or arm casts? What the heck?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Thank you! He is taking it in stride this weekend. Thankfully there is no school Monday, and Tuesday he has a kindergarten picnic at lunch (which his dr specifically wrote a note for him to be allowed to participate), so he really only has two days left of staying inside. It is a district policy, as my school has the same rules. We tend to be a bit more lenient with older students, but the younger ones we do make stay inside as well.

My SIL was not watching him. She was sitting on a bench playing on her phone and thought my 12 yr old niece was watching him. Yes, it could have happened even if he was being watched, but I specifically told my SIL to keep a close eye on him since he is a fearless daredevil.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Poor guy!! Fortunately, it's the end of the year. My DS had a similar (only 14 stitches though) incident that also caused a broken jaw and 6 weeks of puréed food...right at the beginning of first grade. It was hard!!

Hope you can get the infection taken care of quickly!!

Can he play on an iPad for the time he's in the office?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Poor guy!! Fortunately, it's the end of the year. My DS had a similar (only 14 stitches though) incident that also caused a broken jaw and 6 weeks of puréed food...right at the beginning of first grade. It was hard!!

Hope you can get the infection taken care of quickly!!

Can he play on an iPad for the time he's in the office?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ouch!!! That is awful!! They x- rayed his jaw just to be sure, but thankfully that was fine, other than being sore for the first few days.

I will ask about the iPad. His teacher is very into technology, and she has several in her classroom. The office has some blocks and some quieter board games, that he can use. He has also mentioned getting Popsicles from the office staff while he has been sitting there, so it sounds like he has been treated nicely, he just rather be outside running around.

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

When my 2nd grade Dd had to sit out recess and gym because of a bad asthma flare, I contacted her teacher and asked if I could send a tablet. Getting to use her kindle fire went a long way to compensate for the fact that she wasn't allowed outside for a week beyond the walk from the curb to the door at school.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's not your fault, kids get hurt!!!!

I don't understand why with a cast they have to sit in the office?

I've never heard of this, a cast is pretty much indestructible, my DD has had many.

I see kids all the time with casts, even doing PE (modified if needed) but still participating.

Is this also the school that doesn't allow any athletic clothing?

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    It's not your fault, kids get hurt!!!!

I don't understand why with a cast they have to sit in the office?

I've never heard of this, a cast is pretty much indestructible, my DD has had many.

I see kids all the time with casts, even doing PE (modified if needed) but still participating.

Is this also the school that doesn't allow any athletic clothing?
    Different school, same district. Each school can set up their own dress code (and many require uniforms), but the cast/stitches is a district policy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast