Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default please rec a slim book of poetry (not YA)

so we're having issues in our book club - we have a slew of restrictions on choices (including not YA) and it's getting stale. I think a slim volume of poetry would make a nice change. So hit me with your favorite poets or collections. I'm hoping to find a book of maybe 20-30 poems on various topics and each person in the group can read them all or one or whatever.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Anything by Anne Sexton, Mary Oliver, or Adrienne Rich. Maya Angelou is also wonderful. I also really like Audre Lorde.
    Last edited by mackmama; 05-27-2017 at 03:23 PM.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is a good anthology that has poems by many of the poets I listed earlier.
    https://www.amazon.com/She-Walks-Bea.../dp/1455564079

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    This is a good anthology that has poems by many of the poets I listed earlier.
    https://www.amazon.com/She-Walks-Bea.../dp/1455564079
    I like this but there are so many poems I fear some will balk at the idea. I'm going to put some more thought into it, maybe we pick a few chapters to discuss at our gathering so those who don't want to read them all won't feel discouraged. It is available in the three library systems we pull from, so definitely a plus there.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Maybe Ted Kooser would appeal to the group. Lovely, accessible poems. His book Delights & Shadows is slim, and won a Pulitzer Prize BTW.
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

mom_hanna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Dante's Divine Comedy
    The essential Neruda (poetry of Pablo Neruda)
    Human Chain by Seamus Heaney
    White Egrets by Derek Wolcott

I was going to suggest Neruda. I love his words.

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

How slim? Because TS Eliot's The Waste Land is slim, but it's also REALLY dense and very modern; I kind of love it in small doses. If you want to tie it into pop culture, Cats is entering its 2nd year in revival on Broadway, so Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats might be fun (I haven't read it personally, though, so maybe that's bad.)

The one I always recommend is Trilogy by H.D., but it's also quite dense and very modern (yeah, OK, it was written in the 40s, but modern poetry sometimes makes people feel inadequate.) Despite its density, it's fairly accessible vocabulary-wise and if you get a good edition, the weird bits are footnoted really well.

I haven't read Purgatorio or Paradiso, but I have read Dante's Inferno (together, they comprise the Divine Comedy listed upthread) and find it oddly soothing. I have the Ciardi translation from 1954, but I've been interested in the Pinsky translation from 1995. (I have a weakness for Robert Pinsky poetry.)
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 05-28-2017 at 06:32 PM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Thank you for all the suggestions - I'll be checking them out.

Quote Originally Posted by oneplustwo View Post
    Maybe Ted Kooser would appeal to the group. Lovely, accessible poems. His book Delights & Shadows is slim, and won a Pulitzer Prize BTW.
    This is exactly what I was going to suggest! Love him.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    spoiled wife
    mom to gregarious DS1 1/11
    mom to active DS2 5/13
    mom to DD 12/16

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast