Thread: OBX help

janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default OBX help

We've never been and I've been scouring VRBO, google and Homeaway and really starting to get more confused! I have heard Duck is a great vacation spot (we are a family of 4 coming from NJ), but we also don't want to be stuck in crowds or traffic 24/7. We would love beach and relaxation, I guess pretty typical but is anyone here OBX regulars who might be able to offer a few tips, it would be greatly appreciated! Pretty late to start planning a summer trip, but we are aiming for August.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

OBX overwhelmed me too. Everyone has strong opinions that their area is the best and then you're back to the drawing board. May I suggest Sandbridge, VA? It's the same land mass as the OBX but in VA. It's a small area so traffic is a non-issue. No house is far from the beach. 15 minute drive to the fun of VA Beach if you want activity. I found the planning so much easier than the OBX and we had a great beach experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've been going to the OBX for several years. I was so confused the first year I planned a trip! There are several communities along the OBX, and they each have their own "flavor." I've always stayed in South Nags Head which is close enough to get to any activities but far enough away that the beaches are fairly quiet. One year, I'd like to try one of the area further south on Hatteras Island for an even quieter vacation. For rentals, there are many different companies to choose from. One website, rentabeach.com has consolidated several of the rental company websites. It will give you a good starting point, but it doesn't have all of the information.

I read a message board about the OBX that has many very helpful members. I know there have been threads in the past explaining some of the differences in the areas - like which ones have shallow slopes into the oceans, warmer water, lots of restaurants, walkability, etc. I tried to find one, but I'm not having much luck yet. This one can get you started: http://www.obxconnection.com/outer-b...x?Thread=87764 It might be a good idea to register and ask which location would be a good fit for your family. There are lots of people on the board from NJ, and they'll give you good driving directions, too.
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default OBX help

We go to OBX every summer and usually stay in Duck. I like to stay on either Scarborough or Christopher streets because it's a quick walk down to the shops and the boardwalk on the bayside (the island is narrow there so any Oceanside house is close to the beach). I'm sure other communities are nice too but that area is our favorite. It's not crowded but still has stuff to do. We like to go crabbing on the bay and spend time at the beach relaxing. We always go with friends and rent a big house. Love it. We like to rent from southernshores.com

DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you!! Each one of your responses was so helpful😊

We love Sandbridge as well. When I first looked into it years ago, this thread was so helpful: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=360211

We stay in the condos at the far end of the beach: http://www.sanctuaryrealtyva.com

It's right near the pier and a playground. We drive back into the mainland for the Virginia Aquarium and Ocean Breeze water park: https://www.oceanbreezewaterpark.com/

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    DS 05/09
    DD 12/12

I have only been to the areas north of the bridge, on the ocean (not canal) side . Other than the arrival and getaway days, I didn't find that there was a lot of traffic/crowds. But you seriously, seriously want to cross the bridge before 10am on your arrival day (assuming it will be Saturday) or you will experience traffic like you have never seen.

We stayed in Corolla, which is north of Duck, and less crowded. It was close to where the wild horses are, doing the wild horse tour was the highlight of our trip for our daughters.

We stayed in Sandbridge during the fall. It has a different vibe than the OBX. Corolla, Duck, and the like feel very beach-town, it reminds me of the towns along the beach where I grew up in San Diego. Beach seems like a way of life. Sandbridge, once you leave the immediate beach area feels like any suburb. So many strip malls and chain restaurants. Not to say we didn't enjoy it, we definitely did. Also, the rates in Sandbridge are way less than the OBX.
    Last edited by TwinFoxes; 05-29-2017 at 05:33 PM.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    We go to OBX every summer and usually stay in Duck. I like to stay on either Scarborough or Christopher streets because it's a quick walk down to the shops and the boardwalk on the bayside (the island is narrow there so any Oceanside house is close to the beach). I'm sure other communities are nice too but that area is our favorite. It's not crowded but still has stuff to do. We like to go crabbing on the bay and spend time at the beach relaxing. We always go with friends and rent a big house. Love it. We like to rent from southernshores.com

I've only been twice, so I'm no expert, but both times we rented in Duck from Southernshores.com and got an oceanfront house with decks on each floor. Make sure you're near beach access. There are walkways that traverse the dunes, so even if you're right on the beach, you may have to walk a ways to get to the actual beach access. That's something to consider. We were looking to be fairly near shops and restaurants but not in strip mall central, and Duck accomplished that for us. We were within driving distance of everything we wanted to see, and I don't remember the traffic being an issue at all. It's mostly getting to and from the OBX that's the potential problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains