trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Disney's Animal Kingdom

How is it? DD really wants to go. I went when it first opened and I wasn't impressed, I'm assuming it has improved. It would be a lot of money for us to go, so should I even consider it?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

They just (weeks ago) opened their Avatar themed section. It's supposed to be really cool and the one ride, Flight of something, is supposed to be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    They just (weeks ago) opened their Avatar themed section. It's supposed to be really cool and the one ride, Flight of something, is supposed to be awesome.

That's what she keeps seeing on Disney Jr and why she wants to go. Hopefully there is more than just that.

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The Rivers of Light show is also new and it sounds amazing too.
    http://blog.touringplans.com/2017/02/25/sat6_rol/

If you go I'd definitely plan a trip to both Magic Kingdom and Animal kingdom.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Just as a warning, we were in Orlando from May 27- June 6th. If you don't have fast passes yet for any of the Avatar rides, you won't get them. We tried 3 months ago and couldn't get them. We went to Animal Kingdom on Wednesday and Thursday after the ride opened (but not technically in the peak time of year which begins middle of June), got to the park 20 minutes after opening time, went straight to Pandora, and the line to simply walk around in the Pandora area was 3 city blocks. I was hearing waits of 3+hours to ride the rides without fastpasses. I'm assuming DVC members were using their early magic hours to get in the line before everyone who was not DVC (which we are not).

Heading into July, which is peak attendance season, I imagine the lines will be even longer. Just wanted to warn you about what to expect if your family doesn't tolerate long lines well like mine (we decided to skip Pandora all together).
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

20 minutes post opening is like an eternity late. Gotta be there 30-45 minutes before opening, minimum. Fast passes are available for onsite guests 60 days out, 30 days for non onsite guests. Those staying offsite can only hope to get lucky.

We were also there the week after Pandora opened, and that land was a madhouse. Lots and lots of people. And yes, no hope of reasonably getting on the rides without fast passes and those were not available the entire time we were there. We have the MDE app and refreshed it like crazy, looking for passes before and during the trip but nothing. It is a pretty cool world but it's small compared to others in the park, and has the feeling that there is more to come in future and this is just the beginning of what will be presented. That said, I wouldn't plan an entire trip around Pandora unless you're local and it's nbd to plan a day around this one thing.

But Animal Kingdom is still a lot of fun, as are Magic Kingdom and the other parks!
    DS 2014

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We went to AK today. It was a morning Extra Magic Hour, but we did not get up for that because we've been up late the last 2 nights for July 4th fireworks. We got there right at 9 and went to River ride. The wait was 40 minutes but Flights was already almost 2 hours. There have been no FP available for either ride since I started checking weeks ago. I've been checking the wait times while we were here and both rides consistentlyhave waits of 90+ minutes.

So if you come, you can probably get on River pretty easily if you get here around park opening. But Flights is going to be very hard.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    How is it? DD really wants to go. I went when it first opened and I wasn't impressed, I'm assuming it has improved. It would be a lot of money for us to go, so should I even consider it?

How long is your trip? Our family actually loves AK...we have been on every one of our trips. We love the safari, the Lion King show and Expedition Everest. The new Avatar stuff looks very cool, but as PPs said, the new stuff is always crazy busy/crowded. We just really like the more leisurely pace at AK, as we can walk around and enjoy the animals and take in the scenery. It is a nice change of pace from the rest of the trip I find, plus my kids love animals so are really interested in that part. They always wish we had more time there so we could do the full kid adventure thing where they go different places to learn animal facts. And I always wish we had more time to do one shows too. Last time we also did a meal at AKL as an end to our day there, which was fun and cool to see. But if you have a short trip and you don't have the same interests, it might not be worth it for your family...

Thanks everyone! I am a little hesitant to go because the main reason she wants to go is because of the Avatar exhibit, but I know she can handle an extremely long wait. Maybe we will wait a while, when it's not so new.

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15