Default Leather Furniture and Cats?

Does anyone here have leather furniture and cats with claws? Ours usually don't have an issue with scratching at furniture, but I wonder if they would leave puncture marks in the leather? I've never owned any leather furniture, but I am sort of tempted by a few things I've seen.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

No personal BTDT, but you can get soft paws for the cats to help protect the furniture.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have had our cat for 8 months now and he has not left any puncture marks in our couch or the office chair he enjoys. He has clawed/bitten the sides of 2 different ottomans, but not the couch for some reason. I like the leather because I feel that fabric would just get too furry.
    We have friends with leather and their couches are covered in holes on the seats and arm rests from their cat. They got it as a young kitten (we got ours at around 5 months old) so I don't know if that makes a difference. I was only at their house once for a scout meeting, so have not asked about when the holes occurred.

I can see if your family rough houses with the cats, that would more likely result in scratching.
    mom to Billy 12/07

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We've never had an issue with either our cats or dog when it comes to our leather sofa. Now, the children on the other hand... (DD2 and nail polish)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think it depends on the cat. We have one cat that has never bothered the leather furniture. But we got a kitten two years ago and I cannot keep her off of it. She's ruined two of my chairs.
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We had two cats and bought leather specifically to avoid scratching. They didn't scratch it up, but they were older.

Thanks for all the replies. It seems it could go either way, and since we have three cats, would probably go both ways!! I think I'll stick to fabric!

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Indianamom2 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. It seems it could go either way, and since we have three cats, would probably go both ways!! I think I'll stick to fabric!
    Do your cats scratch the furniture you have now? If not, they probably won't. If they do, then I'd stick to whatever will make me less cranky to see it scratched up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

We've had zero issues with our leather furniture and 3 cats over 3 years. One cat was elderly, but the other two we brought home as 6-8 week old kittens each time. The only thing we made sure to do was have multiple scratching posts to discourage furniture use as much as possible.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)