Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dog friendly family beaches in SoCal?

Thanks to all for the help. I think we found someone else to puppy sit so we are good.
    Last edited by calebsmama03; 07-25-2017 at 11:26 PM.

Huntington in LA County is a dog beach. It's sandy. We used to take our dogs there when we lived in LA. It's not the most fabulous beach in the world but it's sandy and dogs are allowed.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't know if there are any down south near Dana Point, but Huntington Beach has a dog beach. It's about 30-40 min north of Dana Point. It's very family friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

http://www.dogbeach.org/faq

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Thank you! Been to Huntington Beach and don't love it but may be our only option. 😕 Just glad I thought to check! This is our first dog and I tend to assume dogs are allowed most outdoor areas. Ours is such a tiny little mellow lap dog that it doesn't occur to me to check sometimes!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by calebsmama03 View Post
    Thank you! Been to Huntington Beach and don't love it but may be our only option. �� Just glad I thought to check! This is our first dog and I tend to assume dogs are allowed most outdoor areas. Ours is such a tiny little mellow lap dog that it doesn't occur to me to check sometimes!
    Long Beach is 1000X better than Huntington Beach. It is located just south of Ocean between Granada and Roycroft (just south of the old Olympic Pool at Ocean and Roycroft....I think). It is called Rosie's Dog Beach. There is no charge parking in the neighborhood north of Ocean, but there is also a pay lot, but TBH during the week you should be fine parking in the neighborhood. There are a lot of dog friendly restaurants in the Belmont Shore area as well and they will let you attach your leash to a bike rack or fence in front of the restaurant. Send me a PM if you want more details.

I wouldn't dream of taking my little dog to Huntington because the dogs for some reason are more aggressive and even I felt uncomfortable with our old 80 lb. lab there at times. The water is cleaner at Huntington than at Long Beach because Long Beach has a break water, but the dogs and owners are very friendly in Long Beach.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Thanks, Annie! I never realized dogs on beaches was such a contentious issue until I started researching this week! Though DD just dog-sat for a pair of seriously obnoxious, poorly behaved, crazy, big, PITA dogs so I guess I can understand you have to have a universal rule to keep those kind from destroying people's fun even if it means keeping out well trained ones. We are trying to decide whether to ask the IL's to watch her for the week (which I'm certain they would DO but stresses me out because MIL is kind of a nut about her house and puppy isn't reliably potty trained even for us, so with someone else she will likely regress a bit and I don't want to hear endlessly of the number of accidents she had in the house ) or whether we should just cancel our trip all together? Seems like it will be impossible to find a beach where it is legal for puppy to hang out with me in our shade tend but is also a really nice swimming beach for the kids. Boo.

PM'd you , Annie.
    Last edited by calebsmama03; 07-23-2017 at 12:53 PM.

baymom is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If she's small and going to just sit with you (as opposed to running around playing), could you just 'sneak' her in, in a small carrier bag and then keep her on a leash? Then be prepared to leave if someone says something. I don't mean to be controversial, but I'm just thinking if it were me, I wouldn't mind AT ALL if I were at a beach and was sitting next to someone with a tiny dog on a leash. I'd only be worried if it was running around and possibly pooping/peeing in my vicinity.

Quote Originally Posted by baymom View Post
    If she's small and going to just sit with you (as opposed to running around playing), could you just 'sneak' her in, in a small carrier bag and then keep her on a leash? Then be prepared to leave if someone says something. I don't mean to be controversial, but I'm just thinking if it were me, I wouldn't mind AT ALL if I were at a beach and was sitting next to someone with a tiny dog on a leash. I'd only be worried if it was running around and possibly pooping/peeing in my vicinity.
    She is under 5lb, so theoretically could, and she is a total lap dog 90% of the time so had totally planned to do just that but I'd hate to get there and get busted then be stuck for the rest of our trip. Plus I'm a total rule-follower so would feel guilty and stressed about it the whole time. lol Plus, I don't know if they just ask you to leave or if you get a ticket/fine/summons? Believe me, the thought crossed my mind more than once! Then my "what if" worry started taking over.

EDITING TO MAKE IT ENTIRELY CLEAR FOR THE SELF-RIGHTEOUS THAT WHAT I AM SAYING ABOVE IS THAT I WOULD NOT/COULD NOT BREAK THE RULES. Thanks.
    Last edited by calebsmama03; 07-25-2017 at 11:25 PM.

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Check out gopetfriendly.com. They will have lots of relevant information.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast