trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Help DH write this email, please.

You guys are so much better at this...
    One of DH's coworkers is adopting a child (I think the child is about 2 or 3). He suggested to his supervisor that they should have a baby shower. He was asked to send out an email to is coworkers about the baby shower. He asked me to help him draft it. Any help?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

"Please join us DATE for a shower to celebrate the arrival of Mary's child Beyonce. Beyonce is two years old, and will arrive within the next few weeks."

I mean fatten it up with details about the shower (where, when, food served, surprise or not), and adjust it to fit the culture of the office (touchy-feely vs more business like) but I don't think a big deal has to be made about it being an adoption or anything, other than mentioning the age so people can buy appropriate gifts.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm hoping/guessing that this was already done, but I would make sure that the co-worker is comfortable with a shower if it is happening before placement/arrival. Many people who adopt prefer to wait until after the child is home before having a shower, prepping the room, etc. Everyone has their own comfort level. I also wouldn't word it much differently than any other baby shower invite (other than the age to help with gift ideas, as PP suggested). Again, each person is different, but many people who adopt just want to have something "normal" and celebrate their child, just like any other parent.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would also make sure to mention the gender of the child, if it isn't obvious. If child is 3 year old "Alex" could be girl or boy. While most infant gifts work for either, gifts for a three year old tend to be more gender-specific.

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Please join us in welcoming Shaun's little daughter, April, with a shower on Xxx date at Xxxxx. April is 2 years old and expected to be here on xxx date. Shaun is registered at xxx.

As an adoptive mother, I am thrilled to hear that your DH's office is doing this! I was very sad when I brought DD home, and didn't get any of the "normal" family/friends experiences of bringing a child into our home. My sister came over and helped me set up the bedroom. Two friends brought me "welcome home" gifts/cards. But no one really asked to see pictures, asked how it was going, offered to throw a meet-and-greet, or anything. I already felt like such a failure--infertility, family that couldn't take care of their own child meaning she ended up in foster care, then having to "prove" that I was a fit parent by very virtue of trying to bring her into my home--and not having any of the normal experiences just heightened that awareness that adoption isn't seen as the "normal" way to bring a child home... Sorry, off my soapbox now!

Others have brought up great wording for this!
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)