Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shared school supplies and brands

Just curious what others do. If your child's school supply list does not specify brands and you know everything will be shared, do you go through a lot of effort looking for sales? DS is going into second-grade and the only thing that is brand specific is Crayola crayons and that's the way it's been the past two years. In the past, I've run around trying to find the best deals on Ticonderoga pencils, Elmer's glue, Expo dry erase markets, etc. A couple of days ago, I finally cleaned out DS' backpack from the last day of first grade. He had a Staple's glue stick, a Crayola dry erase markets, and a dozen pencils -- not one Ticonderoga in the bunch. lol About the only thing that he seemed to keep was his Fiskar scissors.

Also, for the first time, our school is selling packaged school supply kits and everything included in that is a Staples brand. So my general sense is my school just doesn't care, but I was curious what others do. Especially interested in what teachers want.
    Last edited by carolinacool; 07-23-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Teacher here...

For glue, I buy what is the cheapest. I usually stock up when office max has their sales, so I get office max brand. Crayons, colored pencils, and markers, crayola is the best. I always stock up on crayola when they have sales. Staples has 12 pack markers and colored pencils on sale for 97 cents as does wal mart. I wouldn't skimp on those. Pencils, the kids go through them so fast. I found an amazing price match deal and got 10 packs of Ticonderoga brand pencils for 80 cents each, so I stocked up. Otherwise I buy the office max brand on their sale, as they hold up pretty well. For dry erase markers are they for the student to use or the teacher?? If for the student, I'd just get whatever is on sale, but you may need to replace mid year. Expos really do last longer, and that is what I buy for me to use, but for the students, I just buy the office max brand in bulk.

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This year, I bought the $35 1st grade pack for my daughter and will be buying supplies for my 5th grader (But few of those are shared I've found)
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

For me, it depends in part on the age. In younger grades, there really is a benefit (IMO) to Ticonderoga pencils and higher quality art supplies. Its a huge time waste and source of frustration to have a pencil keep breaking or that won't sharpen easily. My 5th grader can deal with it efficiently but I've seen Kinder-2nd graders reduced to tears or tantrums.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

meggie t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My feeling is if it is going to be shared, do what's cheapest since that is probably what most people are going to do. Keep the Ticonderoga and other brand names for home. If the package deal from school is a fair price, I would just do that to save you the headache.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I'm not one to chase down deals, because I'm lazy and find value in going to one place and being done! But I did have a preference for Ticonderogas and Crayola because they do seem nicer and less frustrating to me. I figured my kid may or may not end up using them, but someone would. Anything to put a little less frustration into the room in general. If a school pack would have been offered, I surely would have done that and supplemented a bit because I do enjoy new office supplies. I'd figure if the chosen brands were frustrating, the teachers would make that known so they'd change certain things.

I know when my daughter was that age, she'd probably trade the boring yellow Ticonderogas for any sparkly pencil anyways! She was just lamenting the other day during school shopping that I'd never let her get the scented markers and pencils. I don't remember her asking for them, but she swears she was always so jealous that other kids had them.

I definitely understand the preference for Crayola. I got those for crayons and coloring pencils. And I picked up Elmer glue sticks yesterday because they are on sale at Target and I had a coupon. I 'm mainly stuck on the pencils. He needs four packs of 12. I have five packs from previous Office Depot sales. I'm guessing in the next two weeks, they will do the sale where they're $1 a box. But if I miss it, I'll send in two Ticonderogas and two cheaper boxes so I can keep more good brands at home. I have no idea why I'm a tizzy. To Meggie T.'s point, most folks go cheap based on what I see during Open House.

As for the package deal, you had to buy it at the end of last year. It was $32.90, and I don't think I've spend that much. It might be close.

I appreciate your perspective as a teacher, PZMommy!
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I spent $10 on DD's school supplies last year. She will be reusing her supply box for pencils, glue sticks, colored pencils, and scissors. I'll put her name on the colored pencils because we're buying Crayola.

She needs 4 folders and a notebook. I plan to spend no more than $15 to resupply her for the year.

She also has a set of (very inexpensive, volume-controlled) headphones for computer class because her teachers last year mentioned the children share earbuds (that are wiped down between students) and that grossed me out. (We paid ~$12 at ALDI for character headphones.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

When my kids were young and some of their school supplies were shared, I still bought the name brand supplies.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    When my kids were young and some of their school supplies were shared, I still bought the name brand supplies.
    There are always good back to school sales so it really wasn't much price difference between brand name and generic. I mostly stuck with brand name like Elmers, Crayola, Fiskar, Ticondergoa, Expo, Sharpie. Things like filler paper, highlighters, post it notes I did buy generic.

Our school kits include both generic and brand name items. It was 60 some dollars though and I can definitely get the items for less than that!
    Last edited by ett; 07-24-2017 at 09:58 PM.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast