Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need help wide width shoes sz 8 that look current

DD is going into middle school and only wears sneakers as she has such a wide foot. She finds flats completely uncomfortable. Any ideas on styles that would look cute while comfortable and wide. Many thanks!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Toms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do not come in wide widths😒

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Some Bobs come in wide.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Is she a "C" width or a "D" width? (I wear a D; C-widths are barely wide at all to my foot.)

What kind of shoe are you/she looking for? Oxford? Heel? Flat? Sandal?

I have better luck with brands like Clarks, Dansko, Softspot, occasionally Sofft, etc., for combining support with width, but I really have to LOOK. Sometimes Easy Spirit works, but not as often. (Also, I think their widths are now C when they used to be D.)

Clarks has a line, Artisan, that is a little more fashion-forward but they don't always come in widths. (They are a D width.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I feel her pain. I developed rheumatoid arthritis when I was 22 and went through a time period when I had to wear shoes that made my feet look like duck feet because I couldn't stand any pressure across my foot.
    Nordstrom is good at having styles in wide widths; DSW has gotten rid of a lot of their wide shoes in store but they do have them online. And Amazon has a lot of wide widths and you can search by wide. It would probably help to know what kind of style she is looking for - I have no idea what teenagers are wearing now except for flip flops in the summer and uggs in the winter.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have wide feet so I sympathize. It's definitely harder than just walking into Target. I'd start by searching on Nordstrom or Zappos for wide width shoes and see what styles appeal to her. Be prepared to spend $$ and order a bunch of stuff with free returns. There are tons of wide width sandal options. If she's borderline wide Fitflop and Vionic might work. I also have some luck with Teva and Merrell. For fall I've seen several wide width ankle booties and there are a few in the Nordstrom sale.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Booties? Cut out kind for now and fall. Adidas or Nike white tennis sneakers. Birkenstock Arizona are also in for the middle school set.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Need help wide width shoes sz 8 that look current

I have been a 9.5 wide (D) since I was 12 years, but started having the wide shoe issue at 10 when I wore a size 9. I get what your daughter is going through and it stinks. I am sort of going through this with DD1, but she is only a 5 wide and in some brands still a 4.5 wide so almost the opposite problem, but still there is a lack of wide with shoes out there.

Tom's are most definitely not a wide width shoes. I can only wear men's and I returned the men's pair I bought a few years ago because I decided they looked just that too much like a men's shoe (sorry I want the cute prints too....even at 35when I bought these).

I had the exact same problem as your DD until I was in my early 20s because prior to that I thought all shoes in a wide shoes equaled "mom" shoes and tbh now I still feel the same way and wide shoes are a pita to find. Because if this issue I seek out cute shoes and still end up with boring mom shoes. With all of that said I do love Clarks Artisan, Dansko, Cole Hasn flats, Crocs flip flops, Birkenstocks (Arizona is probably less "mom" looking than the Grenada style I wear), and wear Asics Gel 1000 sneakers (these at least come in fun colors!), but other than the Asics or Birkenstocks (which I couldn't afford until I had a stable job in college) I wouldn't have wanted to wear any of those brands when I was in middle school. I lived in Keds, an occasional pair of ballet flats (that didn't look like my mom's flats), and every so often a sandal from Payless that came in a wide width and I could wear for formal occasions.

I don't have any now but Adidas Superstar are unisex and run wide so those would work. Converse All Star would be a good option as well because they are unisex but they offer zero support. Same with Vans; I think I had my first pair of Vans in high school, but they are common in middle school here.

Nikes run very narrow imho these days especially all of the trendy ones out there; I think I was 21 the last time I owned a pair of Nikes; Asics, Mizuno, Adidas, New Balance (my DD1 wears the 990 style and I hate that they cost $90 on sale, but zero foot pain; adult sizes 7 and up are $120 though, but they do last a whole school year), and Brooks all fit wide widths better. I always try Nikes on because I want the cute "in" styles, but they never fit.

If she has a high arch then don't even bother with Fit Flops (imho those are going to scream "mom" or worse "grandma" sandal to a middle schooler) or Vionic (or Born for that matter) because IME the extra padding or shape of the arch in the makes the shoes uncomfortable.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 08-27-2017 at 08:39 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I am the same size. Nordstrom online has the best selection for wide widths, ocassionally their junior's brand bp offers styles in wide shoes. Also belle vita is a good option for trendier styles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast