Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Disneyland Maxpass

Anyone have any experience with this new Disneyland Maxpass option? We already have the deluxe annual passes for our family. We would either have to pay $10 per person per day or $75 for the remaining lifetime of our annual pass each. The thought of forking out $40 per day or $300 more for a family of four for the remaining life of our annual pass is very unappealing to me. But more importantly, I'm wondering how this feature has affected the number and difficulty of getting the fast passes the traditional way. Does this new feature mean way less fast passes to be gotten at the fast pass kiosks where the rides are? I wish this new feature didn't exist, as it is just another money suck added to an already too expensive annual pass or hopper ticket.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

FWIW, we started our deluxe annual passes in April for Spring Break. We don't live in So Cal, so going to Disneyland isn't something we can do readily on a random weekend. We basically intend to get one more trip or maybe two more trips out of the annual passes.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We went last week, without Maxpass. I had been keeping up with the Fast pass availability and ride waits on similar days for a few weeks leading up to our trip on the app. Honestly, I didn't see too many people using Maxpass while we were there. A few were, getting new fast passes while still waiting in line at their last pass, but not many. And the passes we got seemed to line up with the times I had seen in the weeks prior. (Actually, we had much better luck than I was expecting at Guardians.)

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Adding: prior to going I had planned to get it for at least our last day, so we could get Fast passes for CA while we were in DL at breakfast. However, I couldn't get the Southern California Citipass to scan into the app, so I didn't bother. It could be that there are still issues like that going on as well.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

A friend whose dad works at DL told me that they are completely reworking their passes and this Maxxpass must be the first big thing. She said he said that ever since they started offering monthly payments for passes attendance has been out of control and the parks have been capped off attendance wise more this year than ever before and he said Disney realizes this and changes are in the works. I know people from NorCal who have season passes because it is cheaper than 2 sets of 5 day passes a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I know people from NorCal who have season passes because it is cheaper than 2 sets of 5 day passes a year. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is exactly us! We're from NorCal, and it is cheaper for us to have a few trips with the deluxe season pass than it is to buy hoppers each time.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy View Post
    Anyone have any experience with this new Disneyland Maxpass option? We already have the deluxe annual passes for our family. We would either have to pay $10 per person per day or $75 for the remaining lifetime of our annual pass each. The thought of forking out $40 per day or $300 more for a family of four for the remaining life of our annual pass is very unappealing to me. But more importantly, I'm wondering how this feature has affected the number and difficulty of getting the fast passes the traditional way. Does this new feature mean way less fast passes to be gotten at the fast pass kiosks where the rides are? I wish this new feature didn't exist, as it is just another money suck added to an already too expensive annual pass or hopper ticket.
    I haven't used it myself yet, but this is meshes into my "after hours" job, so I've been reading a ton.

First, the good news.... MaxxPass (MPs to make life quicker here) doesn't increase the number of FastPasses (FPs) that are being handed out per hour. Just for the sake of argument, let's say Indiana Jones has a budget of 500 FPs per hour. That budget is now FPs plus MPs. I've seen a ton of people assuming MP is somehow an instantaneous FP that means you never need to wait. The only difference, really, from the pass side of things, is that you don't have to do the FP running. You can be getting off Big Thunder and MP'ing for whatever you want to ride next. Or you can use it to see where the shortest wait is, grab the MP, and have nearly-instant access. Rinse and repeat at the end of each ride (or, really, as soon as you scan your ticket for your return time).

Disney is really trying to "sell" MP, but from what I've seen/heard, it's not the huge money-maker they were hoping. People aren't understanding how to get it, how to use it, what it encompasses, etc., so they may get it 1 day, but not a lot of short-staying people seem to be buying into it. Also, there's the issues of some people not being able to get their tickets scanned into the app, and if you can't scan your ticket in, then you can't use MP.

For my own personal opinion, I think $10/pp/pd is just too much for most people. $10/family/day, sure. But, as people point out, that's $40/day for a family of 4, and $120 if they are there for 3 days--which could be cost prohibitive. I'm kind of neutral about the AP fee for it. I think they should have to pay, but maybe pro-rated ($120/year, or $10/mo).
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

We had an interesting experience with it. We went for one day and got the MP. It worked really well for us, got us into all the rides we wanted to do. However, my DH and DD were in the line for Splash Mountain when it broke down (they had MP's for it). They received another MP to use elsewhere that could be used at any time. Disneyland was closing early for a corporate event so we went over to DCA and thought we'd use the passes for Soarin'. Apparently, they only work for the park you received the pass from so we couldn't use them in DCA.

Quote Originally Posted by lalasmama View Post
    I haven't used it myself yet, but this is meshes into my "after hours" job, so I've been reading a ton.

First, the good news.... MaxxPass (MPs to make life quicker here) doesn't increase the number of FastPasses (FPs) that are being handed out per hour. Just for the sake of argument, let's say Indiana Jones has a budget of 500 FPs per hour. That budget is now FPs plus MPs. I've seen a ton of people assuming MP is somehow an instantaneous FP that means you never need to wait. The only difference, really, from the pass side of things, is that you don't have to do the FP running. You can be getting off Big Thunder and MP'ing for whatever you want to ride next. Or you can use it to see where the shortest wait is, grab the MP, and have nearly-instant access. Rinse and repeat at the end of each ride (or, really, as soon as you scan your ticket for your return time).

Disney is really trying to "sell" MP, but from what I've seen/heard, it's not the huge money-maker they were hoping. People aren't understanding how to get it, how to use it, what it encompasses, etc., so they may get it 1 day, but not a lot of short-staying people seem to be buying into it. Also, there's the issues of some people not being able to get their tickets scanned into the app, and if you can't scan your ticket in, then you can't use MP.

For my own personal opinion, I think $10/pp/pd is just too much for most people. $10/family/day, sure. But, as people point out, that's $40/day for a family of 4, and $120 if they are there for 3 days--which could be cost prohibitive. I'm kind of neutral about the AP fee for it. I think they should have to pay, but maybe pro-rated ($120/year, or $10/mo).

So sorry, I forgot to update on this too! And thanks lalasmama for posting before too!

We did use the maxpass and found it to be a huge benefit for us. So convenient and was a timesaver. It especially came in handy since we wanted to go on the different variations of the new Guardians ride. And it made Radiator Racers doable for us, when we used to have to skip that one.
    Last edited by MMMommy; 10-27-2017 at 10:03 AM.

ckso is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I found out something interesting with the MP this pass Sunday so maybe this has to do with the push to get more people to pay for it

I went with another family to DCA. They had the MP, we did not. So they checked in on their APP for FP for grizzly river run at 5:00. I went to the kiosk and found out the return time was 5:40. So I asked the CM why and she said one of the perks of MP is an earlier FP availability. I was surprised because I always thought MP just gave you the convenience of getting FP on their APP but apparently it also gives you better return times.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast