Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default What Kind of Pants Do Your Kids Wear for Soccer?

DD was just registered for soccer; it's rec-league, so they provide a shirt.

We bought her inexpensive cleats, sock-sleeve shin-guards (I kind of hate these, but the soccer supplies at Target had been decimated), and a ball (yes, I'll write her name ALL over it.)

When I was a kid, I wore sweatpants if it was cold, but graduated to wearing Umbros no matter what because they were comfortable and, playing midfield, I was usually pretty warm from running.

I'm not shelling out for Umbros and DD doesn't have sweatpants.

What kind of pants do your kids wear for soccer?

We're in the northeast and it's currently chilly; I was thinking I'd pick up a couple pairs of C9 leggings and maybe a shirt or two (though she's got loose t-shirts enough that she'd probably be fine with those) to get through practices, but should I think about other things?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Leggings with shorts over but usually just the shorts and socks is warm enough.
    I have boys though so a girl could probably just do leggings but shorts would be sensible until it really gets chilly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you have NextDoor or another similar neighborhood app? We have tons of soccer shorts floating around. I'll bet your neighbors do, too.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

My kids wear sports shorts and claim that they are way too hot even in November to wear long pants.

Last edited by BananaMama; 09-10-2017 at 07:57 AM.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We live in the NE and DS has been playing town and club soccer for several years. Only once have I bought DS pants , athletic leggings, to wear under the shorts and that was for a tournament that was forecast to be really cold in March (highs in the teens). The tournament ended up cancelled due to the cold and I returned the leggings. It's pretty rare I see other kids wearing leggings under their shorts. We do keep a couple athletic undershirts around and a pair of athletic gloves and hat in his bag for cold games.

Thought of something else- our ds2 doesn't run well in athletic pants as they're too restrictive on his legs.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We've only ever done rec soccer. They have never worn pants. Always athletic shorts. You don't have to buy any specific brand, just a cheap pair would be fine. My boys always wore base layers under if it was really that cold (and here, it would be more because it was drizzly and cool than truly COLD most of the time). We already have those because of skiing and hockey though. Leggings and a long sleeve shirt would probably work for a girl. Depends on how cold she really gets.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

My kids (both boy and girl) will wear ua coldgear leggings under their uniforms when it is cold -- but they are older and play club sports. The leggings are actually part of my son's teams uniform kit. I think plain leggings are fine for a younger girl.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I should've specified that not only does she get/feel cold easily but she also changes color - as in turns blotchy and purple if she's not appropriately warm.

I'm not willing to shell out for Umbros (loose-fit shorts) and really think she'll be unhappy with shorts when it's cold, as opposed to just chilly, here.

Maybe part of my thought process was also because we have the built-in-shinguard-pocket socks and I'm concerned she'll complain about the seam against bare legs.

C9 leggings or capris might be the way to go. Crud; I have to wash those d@mn socks!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

How much do you think Umbros cost? They are often $10. And you can find things like that at Once Upon a Child.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast