Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Maestro to expire May 2018, fix it or buy new?

Is it worth it to spend $7 to fix a minor (but essential) part of the car seat when it will expire in less than a year? I plan on buying another car seat if not, but I'm not in a rush because it is a spare car seat.

What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by MoeJoe View Post
    Is it worth it to spend $7 to fix a minor (but essential) part of the car seat when it will expire in less than a year? I plan on buying another car seat if not, but I'm not in a rush because it is a spare car seat.

What would you do?
    Would buying the seat now (or sooner than planned) change the kind of seat you would buy next or the number of seats you would buy in the future? Do you have a special reason for wanting to use the Maestro before it expires (like needing a light weight travel seat) that would not work with the new seat you are buying? If the answer to those is no I'd just buy a new seat. Babies R Us has 25% off and Target has a trade in for 20% off right now, plus Amazon has had a bunch of really good car seat deals lately.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

No, not really, it wouldn't make a difference what seat I'd buy. I'm not planning on travelling with it. I heard about the sales, that's why I'm more intent on looking at new seats now and trying to figure out if I should buy now. Thank you so much for answering me! I was thinking that too, but I also don't need the seat to just go to waste.

I was wondering something different. I am pretty careful of the expirations of car seats, but I was wondering if the date needs to be followed exactly? Like is it a major deal if the seat is used for a few more months?

Thanks!

ps I'm probably going to post another thread of what car seat to buy for my two kids who need soon. Thanks!
    Last edited by MoeJoe; 09-13-2017 at 12:05 PM. Reason: added

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Honestly, I like to get my money's worth out of things, so I would just pay the $7 and keep the seat. Or pay the $7 and sell it on FB/CL.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    loving my dh and our littles (dd ~ 11 yrs, ds ~ 9 yrs, ds ~ 7 yrs, dd ~ 5 yrs and baby brother ~ 20 mo)

How old are your kids and how much longer do you think you'd use the Maestro - would waiting until next spring get you out of a combo seat and into a booster?
    Target did the trade-in last spring and they seem to have started a 6 month cycle with them. So if you can wait until next spring, you may have different options available. All of their seats are on sale right now, so if you do the trade-in, you can get a pretty good deal. I traded in our expiring and disgusting Frontier for a turbobooster lx.

Car seat expiration dates are up for debate. Some people are adamant that your seat is going to become brittle and crack if you use it past expiration, others insist that the seats are good for 10 years at least. I have followed expiration dates on all of the seats we have used so far - it's not something I want to feel guilty about if there was a problem. Plus my kid is a slob so every seat we have retired has been something I was happy to unload.

Quote Originally Posted by MoeJoe View Post
    No, not really, it wouldn't make a difference what seat I'd buy. I'm not planning on travelling with it. I heard about the sales, that's why I'm more intent on looking at new seats now and trying to figure out if I should buy now. Thank you so much for answering me! I was thinking that too, but I also don't need the seat to just go to waste.

I was wondering something different. I am pretty careful of the expirations of car seats, but I was wondering if the date needs to be followed exactly? Like is it a major deal if the seat is used for a few more months?

Thanks!

ps I'm probably going to post another thread of what car seat to buy for my two kids who need soon. Thanks!
    The correct official answer of course is yes, they need to be followed exactly. Personally for my own kid's use I would feel ok using a seat I knew was in good condition for a few months extra (like if a kid was almost but not quite ready to travel without one or use a booster instead or something). But there may be ramifications I am not aware of with things like proper use and insurance coverage or something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
    Honestly, I like to get my money's worth out of things, so I would just pay the $7 and keep the seat. Or pay the $7 and sell it on FB/CL.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    I usually do too, but it really is an extra seat that hasn't been used in a few months and I'm not even sure it'd be used before it expires. If it is used, only as an interim seat because I have another expiring about the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    How old are your kids and how much longer do you think you'd use the Maestro - would waiting until next spring get you out of a combo seat and into a booster?
    Target did the trade-in last spring and they seem to have started a 6 month cycle with them. So if you can wait until next spring, you may have different options available. All of their seats are on sale right now, so if you do the trade-in, you can get a pretty good deal. I traded in our expiring and disgusting Frontier for a turbobooster lx.

Car seat expiration dates are up for debate. Some people are adamant that your seat is going to become brittle and crack if you use it past expiration, others insist that the seats are good for 10 years at least. I have followed expiration dates on all of the seats we have used so far - it's not something I want to feel guilty about if there was a problem. Plus my kid is a slob so every seat we have retired has been something I was happy to unload.
    I'm quasi in the market for two seats- one for my 12 month old (in a snugride- not near expiration at all), not in a rush. And my 3 year old (in a True Fit will expire less than a year)- totally not ready for a booster for a looong time!

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    The correct official answer of course is yes, they need to be followed exactly. Personally for my own kid's use I would feel ok using a seat I knew was in good condition for a few months extra (like if a kid was almost but not quite ready to travel without one or use a booster instead or something). But there may be ramifications I am not aware of with things like proper use and insurance coverage or something?

Thank you!

Since it sounds like you are going to need a new combo seat regardless, I would go ahead and trade in the maestro now instead of getting the part. The Maestro is on sale for $65, so you could get a new one for $52 with the trade-in if you've been happy with it.

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I thought that I read on this board that car seats can be used until December 31st of the calendar year of the expiration? So you would be able to used your seat even longer?

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gamma View Post
    I thought that I read on this board that car seats can be used until December 31st of the calendar year of the expiration? So you would be able to used your seat even longer?
    All the seats I've bought for DGDs have had clearly marked mm/yyyy expiration dates, not just year. That of course doesn't mean that some people use them beyond that date.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast