Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Thanks all. I'm going to at least try and get a quote from Carmax. I'll poke around at PP value too but it is so tricky since the car isn't driveable!
    Do you have a Honda (or an import) repair shop? Everywhere I've lived, there's usually an non-dealer "Honda" guy, and a "Toyota" guy, etc. Usually a small shop that specializes in keeping their brand on the road. They might want it for the engine. I'm sure the payout wouldn't be huge, but I'm guessing Carmax will give you $500. It'll be easy (and I'd probably go this route!), but it will be low.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Carmax offers very very little for cars over 10 years old even if they are in great shape. Worth a quote if you can get it there but I wouldn't expect much.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Because we have old cars we pay for ultra mega AAA or something like that. I have lots of free towing and a CarMax close by. I was shocked when we sold DHs Mazda for over $1000 and it could drive but not pass smog and had multiple major problems. We'll see.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ok, so just for fun, I plugged in some info, gave a SanDiego zipcode, picked silver as a color and mid level trim. Rated it fair based on the fact that you can't drive it and has some major issues.

Here's the KBB

https://www.kbb.com/honda/cr-v/2000/...condition=fair

SO not great.

I traded in a 2004 Mercury Monterey Minivan, with 270K, it was beginning to have some major issues, was in decent shape body wise, but nobody was going to be driving it probably. I traded it in on a used 2008 Ford Edge at a Hyundai dealarship, and they gave me 1000,00 for it, I was THRILLED!!!

If you are planning to buy somewhere, I'd try that first, I didn't have to do anything, just left the heap for them to deal with.

Will carmax even take a car on its last legs that doesn't have regular functioning. You could sell it on CL as a parts car for probably as much as a "real" car as there is demand for Honda parts - though it is getting up there in years. Look on CL or auto trader for what cars in barely or non-running condition like this are going for and adjust expectations. If your dealer will take as a trade just to make the deal happen, you get the value deducted from the taxable value of the new car too so a bit more of a bump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Since it doesn't make sense to try and spend the money to get running, I would either sell it to CarMax or donate it.

If you are open to donating it, check with your local fire department/protection district. My departments use old cars for training purposes - jaws of life, fire drills, etc. It is a tax deduction and usually much appreciated.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Because we have old cars we pay for ultra mega AAA or something like that. I have lots of free towing and a CarMax close by. I was shocked when we sold DHs Mazda for over $1000 and it could drive but not pass smog and had multiple major problems. We'll see.
    A friend sold her non-driving (tranny) Odyssey that was pretty roughed up inside for $1000 to a parts guy. She called three guys that had ads in the local paper and it was gone in two days. Two of the three came to look at it, and she called back the one that could come the soonest and he matched the other guy.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Smillow is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I sold my 2000 Odyssey last spring ('16) for $700 with >285k miles on it via Craigslist. It was gone in a couple of hours. It did run, but was super noisy and a door handle was broken and had a dented fender. I wrote a cute add with the header, "We drove her to the moon and then some!"
    DS 2/09

mypa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Carmax. They gave me $6000 for my 2003 Forester in 2015. They said cars older than 10 years are not resold but auctioned off for parts.

Subaru Dealer only offered me $2000 as a trade in.
    Mary

DS Summer '05
    DD Fall '08

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2