Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Yes. PB&J is one of the few things that he will eat. In K and 1 grade, I was aware of nut allergies in his class, but was never told not to send them. I asked DS and he said that if you brought PB&J, you just had to sit away from them at lunch. I'm not sure who might be allergic this year, but I haven't gotten a note asking me not to send.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We are in a nut-free classroom this year, so I'm careful that all snacks are nut free and also not packaged in facilities with nuts. Snacks are eaten in the classroom. For lunch we were told they can bring nuts, including peanut butter. There's a nut free table for kids with allergies and kids who are buying through the school. Kids that pack can't sit there even if their lunch doesn't contain nuts (too hard to monitor). Even so, I won't send my kid with peanut butter because I'm not sure he'll wash his hands before coming into contact with allergic kids. I would send other nut products though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Nut free school except the cafeteria. So, it's pretty much PB&J everyday.

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our school is peanut-free but NOT treenut-free. I do send in almonds or cashews occasionally. My kids DO have a treenut & peanut allergy...they are obviously not allergic to those. Mine DO have "processed in a plant" items.

Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

We don't have a nut free school only a few classrooms are nut free. PB&J is served daily by the school as the alternative option for hot lunches. There is one nut-free table at school. Nobody in either of my kids classrooms is nut allergic. So I send in nuts regularly - cashews, roasted peanuts, walnuts etc, pad thai with nuts. Nut butters - quite rare. They never sit at the nut-free table.
    DS1 - 08
    DS2 - 11

Our classrooms are nut free, but not the cafeteria. Our school sells PB&J crustables every day. (Side note, blech!)

I send almond butter sandwiches 80 percent of the time. My kids don't like most sandwiches. Our cafeteria has a nut-free table. I think by the time they're older the FA kids don't sit there.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post

Part of it is also because I think (based on what another parent told me in the past) they isolate kids who bring nuts at a single table/area in the cafeteria to reduce exposure for nut-allergic kids, but I feel like I'm somehow misunderstanding the procedure. (If this is the case, DD's social issues could be exacerbated by the isolation, so I really don't want that to happen. If it's not the case, it'd be nice if the school sent home a handout about it.)
    I'm pretty sure this is backward. I've never heard of a "nut" table in a "nut-free" cafeteria. There are usually only a handful of kids with nut allergies, and dozens of kids in the cafeteria. And what, they'd grill the kids as they file in, and trust kindergartners to know what their moms packed? More likely, there's a nut-free table.

Can't you just call the school and ask?
    Last edited by TwinFoxes; 09-21-2017 at 05:20 PM. Reason: clarity
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is backward. I've never heard of a "nut" table in a "nut-free" cafeteria. There are usually only a handful of kids with nut allergies, and dozens of kids in the cafeteria. And what, they'd grill the kids as they file in, and trust kindergartners to know what their moms packed? More likely, there's a nut-free table.

Can't you just call the school and ask?
    I guess I could, but I really hate calling them for anything that's not an emergency. It sounds like I probably misunderstood what's going on!

Honestly, it's not like it's a hardship for me to send nut-free (or minimally nut-contact; I'm not going full-out "nut free facility") anyway - she's barely eating what I send to begin with, turns up her nose at a lot of the options I've offered, and I've told her I'm not putting any more money in her lunch account because she used it to buy ice cream last year, rather than the hot lunch entree I told her she was authorized to buy, so she blew through $15 that I thought would last her 2 months in about 2 weeks.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

PB&J every day and peanut butter crackers often. I don't send peanut snacks for the class room because I know a child has a nut allergy ( ingested only) His mom said its fine.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I send trail mix as a snack often with almonds cashews and dried berries. DD isn't in a nut free classroom
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

DS2 is allergic to peanuts, but not tree nuts. I have sent almonds in his lunch. The elementary school cafeteria does not serve any nut products (they switched to wow butter a few years ago), but kids are allowed to pack nut products. We do have a nut free table and DS2 sat there the first few years but he now sits at the regular table. The nut free table is really for lower elementary kids and they encourage older kids to sit with the rest of the class.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast