Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Gluten free on the go

My doctor wants me to try a gluten free diet because something came up on a biopsy. I don't have a good sense yet of just how far I need to take this, so for starters I am just going to try to eliminate the obvious gluten and maybe not worry about the tiny bit that might have been in a marinade or such.

Here are my problems
    1) I keep my migraines at bay largely through making sure I get several protein/carb meals and snacks a day
    2) too much raw produce causes serious issues so I can't just switch to salad
    3) probably the most important -********* I currently eat out at least 2 meals a day and sometimes more *********** (is there an insert head in bag smiley).

I just don't see myself suddenly finding time to cook again right now. Time is in extremely short supply. I can throw some money at the problem.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you eat out at the same places consistently? I'd start by calling them up and asking whether they have a gf menu. You can also check websites for larger chains. If they don't indicate specific items on paper I'd ask if they have specific things to recommend. I'd also look for a local FB group or blog on the topic. I don't eat gluten free but several friends do and one mentioned a local FB group with restaurant/menu tips.

You could also keep gluten feedbacks like Lara bars, packets of nut butter and rice crackers, etc on hand. Target used to sell something like an adult snack lunchable with gluten free foods.

Hope your health concerns resolve quickly!

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Do you have an In N Out nearby? Their menu is super simple so you can get a burger protein style and fries with no gluten contamination.

Five guys also has gluten free burger ( no bun) and fries. Other burger places will have gluten free rolls (Red Robin).
    Many Mexican restaurants will have corn tortillas (quesadillas, fajitas, tacos).
    We have some local restaurants that stock gluten free bread or English muffins for sandwiches.
    We use the Fing Me GF app to find restaurants nearby that will also have menu suggestions.
    Many restaurants wil
    For on the go snacks we use cereals, Luna bars, Kind bars (other brands of bars), yogurt, there are gluten free crackers to top with cheese/ peanut butter. Even have heated up gluten free nuggets and eaten in the car.

jren is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

As a vegan, I notice so many GF options at restaurants where there isn't even one vegetarian option. I think you'll find it's easier to eat GF than ever. And Walmart carries Glutino Pretzels. We love those! Amy's frozen dinners have GF options for a quick meal. I've ordered a side plain potato at restaurants before with a side salad for a meal. Then I put the salad on the Potato. A baked potato makes a great sub for bread or pasta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes to potatoes! Hashbrowns, baked potatoes, fries... Also sweet potatoes are great.
    Taco salad with beans, meat, etc is a dish we enjoy from Moe's or look for various rice bowls available at tons of restaurants--rice, protein, etc Asian, Tex Mex, etc. Just be sure to order your meat grilled and not fried. GF pasta options are on most all restaurant menus that serve Italian food. If dining at a burger place, my DH will just order the burger (and toppings) without the bun if there is no GF buns available.

Snack options here are sunflower seeds, craisins, veggie straws, fruit cups, applesauce, gf pretzels
    K

umsh is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I started eating GF about six months ago and I agree with a pp - it's easier than eating vegetarian while out (which I've been doing for years). Almost every restaurant has gluten free options...for me I have just tried to eliminate the gluten portion of the meal while out rather than try to replace it - think burger without a bun, etc. As long as you're not trying to eliminate all grains, if you do feel the need to replace the gluten, rice, corn, potatoes are all easy options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by starmommy View Post
    We use the Find Me GF app to find restaurants nearby that will also have menu suggestions.
    Yes, we use this app also! Also, you can use Yelp and just type in "gluten" in the reviews search box to see what people say about certain restaurants. Are you in a big city? We're in Los Angeles so there's plenty of GF options at most restaurants. There's also plenty of GF packaged foods like brownies, noodles, cereal, crackers, and muffin mix that are good. DS1 is GF and subscribes to the Love With Food GF subscription food box. It's a great way to try GF products that you've never heard of. I just made GF blueberry muffins from a muffin mix that he got in his box. It was made from GF teff and oat flours which have much better nutritional profiles than rice flour.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For snacks, many of the Chex cereals are gluten free. Our family loves the Cinnamon Chex. The only reason I even started buying that is because my dad was diagnosed with Celiac years ago & I found a gluten free Chex Mix recipe that called for Cinnamon & Chocolate Chex cereals. So something that simple can replace the carb portion of your snacks. Add in cheese or nuts for the protein, and you're all set!

ETA: I don't know if there's a Zoe's Kitchen near you, but if so, they're great about having gluten free options! https://zoeskitchen.com/menu/allergens
    Last edited by klwa; 09-22-2017 at 06:53 AM.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

I've been Gf for two years. I don't eat out often, but most have something I can eat. Usually burgers, steak, piece of fish can be grilled or pan fried easily. I did find one nice restaurant that always dipped their fish in soy sauce before cooking! I was glad I asked and they were able to cook it plain. Avoid fried foods, most places fry all foods in the same oil.