Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Large Family Gathering - Where to Go?

I posted earlier about my parent's 50th wedding anniversary, and specifically about the Catskills, but now the family has decided to open up where/when (summer vs. winter).

So we have 21 people (12 adults and 9 kids), and the kids range from not born yet to nearly 16 yo. Wide variety of vacation styles. We all live in the Northeast. My parents want us all to go on vacation together for their 50th wedding anniversary, around a week duration. Ideally somewhere all inclusive (or at least catering available so we don't have to cook), with lots of different activities. We are willing to spend some money, but many of us are on a budget, so we are trying to strike a balance. I think a flight <5-6 hours is doable, and we can drive a little more.

Throw your recommendations at me!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

A cruise could do the trick. Several friends have done that (Disney especially) for parents' 50th.

ETA- but, with so many of you, it's not like cooking is a major chore. I wouldn't rule out renting a big old house somewhere. Each family cooks one meal during the week. Not a huge endeavor. It's nice to be under one roof so when little ones need to go to bed, adults can stay up and hang out. A place with enough nooks and crannies to find solitude is important. It really is the most affordable option (in my experience) when you can split costs.
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 09-25-2017 at 01:55 PM.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

A cruise is a good option because everyone can control costs by deciding which cabin and which excursions are within their budget.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We just returned from a family gathering at a lake house near Sleeping Bear Dunes in Northern Michigan. Big house with a game room, well stocked board game cabinet, hot tub, fire pit, inland lake with boats, hiking trails over to the dunes/national lakeshore near by, several cute towns within a short drive, wineries, galleries, rivers for kayaking etc. We never ate out and just shared grilling/prep duties and it was a piece of cake. It was the perfect set up because people could do whatever they felt like at any given moment and there was no need to coordinate a bunch of outings or activities. We only did a long weekend, but it was a much nicer set up and worked out better than prior family trips where we have tried to go somewhere more exotic or that required lots of advance planning or coordination/dining out. The where of it is less important, but the big house with lots of amenities and options was a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by marinkitty View Post
    We just returned from a family gathering at a lake house near Sleeping Bear Dunes in Northern Michigan. Big house with a game room, well stocked board game cabinet, hot tub, fire pit, inland lake with boats, hiking trails over to the dunes/national lakeshore near by, several cute towns within a short drive, wineries, galleries, rivers for kayaking etc. We never ate out and just shared grilling/prep duties and it was a piece of cake. It was the perfect set up because people could do whatever they felt like at any given moment and there was no need to coordinate a bunch of outings or activities. We only did a long weekend, but it was a much nicer set up and worked out better than prior family trips where we have tried to go somewhere more exotic or that required lots of advance planning or coordination/dining out. The where of it is less important, but the big house with lots of amenities and options was a winner.
    Love that part of the country. Where did you stay? We're always looking for new, great houses to rent up there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Love that part of the country. Where did you stay? We're always looking for new, great houses to rent up there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    House called Sleeping Bear Cottage on Little Traverse Lake. The only thing it lacked was a sandy beach. It had a boardwalk between house and lake with some grass and then a dock. Water came right up to the grass. We didn't care as we expected fall weather but then got a sunny 90-degree weekend and were in the lake the whole time! We just hung out on the dock and took the various boats and paddle board out.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks! Cruise definitely is an option, my sister has a friend looking into good options from Boston/NYC.

So the reason behind the all-inclusive food option - we spend the better part of a week together each summer at my parent's cabin. We rotate food preparation, and while it spreads out responsibility, we still find it to be time consuming (shopping, prep, clean up) and less of a relaxing vacation. And then we end up with insane amounts of food that we have to trudge home. I think my parents want this to feel different than those weeks at the cabin (which are special in their own way), and therefore specified food to be included
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    Thanks! Cruise definitely is an option, my sister has a friend looking into good options from Boston/NYC.

So the reason behind the all-inclusive food option - we spend the better part of a week together each summer at my parent's cabin. We rotate food preparation, and while it spreads out responsibility, we still find it to be time consuming (shopping, prep, clean up) and less of a relaxing vacation. And then we end up with insane amounts of food that we have to trudge home. I think my parents want this to feel different than those weeks at the cabin (which are special in their own way), and therefore specified food to be included

I still think you might want to consider some place with kitchen facilities (unless you do a cruise), as those with kids especially will want to be able to prepare some meals for kids or themselves who might be pickier etc. I know as well, eating out for a week is a lot, I love to eat out, but not for a week straight!

Maybe a resort with condo's.

I think you guys need to first pick a time frame (summer or winter?) and whether folks want it within driving distance of the east coast or not. There is just too many options.

If you already go to their cabin in the summer, maybe a winter destination? I don't know whether the other families have specific timeframes like it has to be over Christmas etc due to the older kids not missing school etc.

Hire a chef. Have meals brought in. Some possible solutions to make it a viable option.

But, I think a cruise is probably your best bet. It's an easy trip.

If you are thinking of cruising from Boston or NYC, go to Bermuda!! It is a great multi generational family vacation since it is so easy to plan parts to do together and parts where everyone can do their own thing. Those who need rest time are never far from their rooms, each family unit can choose the room that fits their budget, kids can have some freedom, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast