Default AK's Pandora at Thanksgiving or a different park?

As it turns out, we'll be in Orlando for Thanksgiving. This is a trip to visit family for Thanksgiving and NOT a regular Disney vacation (we'll be back spring 2019 for a week), but the family has several free one day/one park Disney tickets, so we figured we'd purchase the few more we need and do one day at Disney while we're down there. We'll probably go on Wednesday or Friday. Our group will consist of my mom in a wheelchair, two college freshmen who love Disney, my kids (DS, who'll be newly 9, and DD, who's 5), and the grownups. We'll be staying near Casselberry, so it'll be a drive to the parks, and my cousins, try as they might, are never going to manage to make rope drop. We will have a separate car and could get there on time, but this trip is more about the family togetherness than the Disney attractions, so I would feel bad doing that. I, of course, desperately want to see Pandora and the new nighttime show at AK (Rivers of Light?), but my cousin said there's no fastpass yet for the Pandora rides (is that true?), and the lines are three hours long. The crowds will be a nightmare, 9s and 10s in all parks. The highest crowd level we've ever experienced at Disney was an 8, and with our touring plan, we barely noticed, but we've always gotten there at rope drop and bowed out for the busiest part of the day, and this time, that won't happen. What would you do? Should we try for Pandora at AK, see what we can, and know we'll be back, or should we go for another park? Also, DD is only 41", so that would necessitate a rider swap for anything exciting in any park. I'd love some advice!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

There are fast passes. Of course, the onsite guests have already been able to book them so by the time your 30 day window opens, the Flight of Passage ones will almost guaranteed be gone. If you weren't such a big group then I'd bet you could pick fast passes up last minute with cancellations but not with lots of people. Reports from this (not nearly as busy month) are that people get to AK like an hour before opening, go straight to FOP and wait at least 90 minutes.
    The other Avatar ride is supposed to be pretty easy to get. Not that exciting of a ride.
    I've also heard the Rivers of Light show needs a fast pass or dining seating too.
    It sounds like an un-fun way to spend a day to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was at AK on Thanksgiving day in 2015. It wasn't that bad, but it was before Pandora. I think you could have a good time if you can get FPs at 30 days to the safari, Everest, and something else. Give up on anything but walking through Pandora. Mix in a few good shows, Lion King, Nemo, Flights of Wonder, Its a Bug's Life, the various animal treks. Nice day. If Pandora is the only reason you were considering AK, then I would pass. MK might be better. I think Space Mountain is the only ride there requiring more than 40". Lots more FPs to be had there.

Thanks for the advice! I think we'll stick with Magic Kingdom for the one day trip and leave Pandora for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

There are fast passes for Pandora, but you won't be able to secure them if you aren't staying on site. I went at opening last week and waited 86 minutes for flight of passage(worth it) and then 2 hours for the river ride (not worth it). The stand by wait time for flight of passage showed anywhere from 2-4 hours the entire week I was there.