Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Updates in op with a huge thank you!---Ski-resort suggestions for family in March?

Update- I just wanted to thank the BBB ladies for the fantastic suggestions. We are at Steamboat right now and everyone is loving it. I'm not a huge skier like DH and the kids so i've been shopping, have done some cross country skiing (much more my speed) and just enjoying the downtime reading books in the gorgeous weather. It's still cold in Wisconsin right now so the weather here feels almost spring- like to me. Even with the snow everywhere! We got a 3 bedroom condo at Torian Plum Creekside. There is a creek right outside my window bubbling away as I type. And the ski school and lifts are walking distance from our room. I walked the kids out in my pajamas this morning! I honestly think this might be my favorite vacation in the last 5 years. Anyway, I'm so glad you ladies suggested it. I love that it's mainly kids and families everywhere and everything is so easy-going. The slopes are the perfect level for every skier in the family (except DH who said the double black diamond slopes are just too easy for him (insert eye roll) but he claims to be enjoying it despite that little complaint. Thank you all again!!!

Dh wants to take our family down-hill skiing for spring break and I’d like all our kids to come. My 14yo and 12yo have spent winters skiing at small local ski hills here in Wisconsin since they were 3. They are very comfortable on all levels of slopes. Dh has been skiing since he was a kid and loves it. My 9yo twins spend every weekend of the winter in ski school here and love it. I can downhill ski but don’t enjoy it so I will not be doing much other than helping carry skis and poles to the lifts. . So we are looking for recommendations for a family-friendly ski resort with slopes for all levels of skiers as well as a fun ski school for the twins. Bonus points if it has a spa for me to hang out at.

Any fun recommendations? Can you think of a place that might have nice condos or recommendations for a nice VRBO house nearby?
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 03-17-2018 at 02:46 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I LOVE Steamboat. It's my favorite and was so even more as a child. Great ski school especially if you are there on St. Patrick's day.

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If you are willing to travel to the West coast, check out Mount Bachelor and Sunriver Resort. There are plenty of beautiful VRBO units. Bend, OR has Trader Joe's and Costco... fly into Bend/Redmond.

https://www.destinationhotels.com/su...-resort-oregon
    https://www.mtbachelor.com/

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Deer Valley (if no one snowboards)
    Steamboat
    Beaver Creek
    Snowmass

All have great ski schools, a variety of terrain (but not too much extreme since your kids are coming from smaller hills in the midwest), nice amenities at the base and a real town with personality for you to spend time in while your family is on the slopes.

If you all skied there are other places I'd recommend, but these are places I'd say you would enjoy hanging out and your family will all be happy and well cared for on the slopes. The on mountain dining options are also good there and you could meet them for lunches and have high quality meals if you want.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Have you considered Whistler? Do you have passports?

Park City fits all of your needs. You can do Park City or The Canyons or Deer Valley. And yes, there are spas galore plus lots of shopping etc etc. And its 30-45 min drive from the airport. You don't need a car. There are plenty of transport companies that will drive you up there with all your gear. You can take the bus/walk around Park City. Lots and lots of condos and VRBO etc.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Whistler. Stay in the village. Either a large condo you can rent or family two room suite at the Westin or one of the Delta suite properties in the village. Friends loved the Westin and we were there last spring and it was nice. The Four Seasons is a nice one too or Fairmont Chateux Whistler. Lots of spas but not as wide range of shopping as Aspen. Great ski schools for kids and great private instructors too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There are so many, it’s hard to choose. My favorites are Steamboat and Beaver Creek. Steamboat is probably my favorite ski town. Lots to do, very nice but not overly pretentious. It’s more isolated so more true skiers and fewer Denver people coming in for the weekend (they can be really rude IME). The ski school is great as are the private instructors. We always pick a ski in ski out place and love this place

https://www.onesteamboatplace.com/?_...eneral%20Queue

Which you can get through VRBO or Moving Mountains. It’s easy to get 3 or 4 bedrooms.

I also love Beaver Creek but the ski in/out places tend to be smaller. It was harder to find 3 bedrooms, but we did for this year. In Beaver Creek, you also have close proximity to Vail, which is too crowded for me but I enjoy spending a day there. It’s a bit sunnier there than Stemboat also IME.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thank you everyone for the recommendations! I talked with Dh about your recommendations and we have chosen Park City! Dh said he also loves Steamboat but he doesn’t want to have to drive the 1-2 hours from the airport to our hotel/VRBO. He would like to try Whistler next time since it’s one that he hasn’t been to before. I’m making a list of all these great suggestions. I think we will be making this a yearly trip since Dh and the kids love skiing so much. Thanks again!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Thank you everyone for the recommendations! I talked with Dh about your recommendations and we have chosen Park City! Dh said he also loves Steamboat but he doesn’t want to have to drive the 1-2 hours from the airport to our hotel/VRBO. He would like to try Whistler next time since it’s one that he hasn’t been to before. I’m making a list of all these great suggestions. I think we will be making this a yearly trip since Dh and the kids love skiing so much. Thanks again!
    You can fly into Steamboat. Hayden is the airport. They have direct flights from 14 different cities.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast