Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    You can fly into Steamboat. Hayden is the airport. They have direct flights from 14 different cities.
    Dh just texted me 5 minutes ago that there is a direct flight to Steamboat from the airport nearest us. So now Steamboat is back in the running. Which place would be best for skiing in March? Would there still be good snow then in both places? Will either of them be busier due to it being Spring Break?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't know if Steamboat or Park City has better snow in March as I've never done PC. Whistler was awesome one spring break years ago. Steamboat with my family is a dream for me. I love that place...taking the bus into town for dinner and back out to the mountain. It's just SO cool there. The hot springs is just neat..the warm water slides at the town-owned spring is great. Went for Winter Carnival with girlfriends a couple years ago. Great restaurants!
    Also, if you book through central reservations, they always seem to have some promotions where you can do stuff like a sleigh ride on the mountain after dark. My kids would LOVE it. Wish we had the cash!!!

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have only gone to steamboat in March. Snow has always been good. I haven’t been to park city in 32 years so can’t weigh in on I️t.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Both places the snow will be great in March--no problem. Both will be busy for spring break. The plus side to PC is that there are THREE different resorts you can ski in one town and they are all big. They would both have great restaurants and ski schools. I think you should check air fares and VRBOS to see if you can find any deals in either place. Check out skiutah.com for deals. If you have a 5th or 6th grader, you can get a ski passport in Utah for $35. For the 5th grade passport--that is 3 lift tickets to EVERY resort in Utah (including the 3 in PC) and for the 6th grader that is one free lift ticket to each resort. That is a darn good savings.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

We had a trip a few years ago in March when the snow was not good in Colorado (not much of it, icy in morning, slushy by afternoon). We were in Vail but it was a mediocre season for all of the Colorado resorts. We really like Sun Valley as it is always less crowded than other resorts, but also can have a shorter season.

Utah and Wyoming (Jackson Hole) have snow more reliably late season. We’ve been avoiding Colorado and been going to Park city since it is so easy to get to, planning to try Deer Valley this year. We went to Jackson Hole this summer, flying into the airport there, and loved the area. I would love to go back for a ski trip as they always get tons of snow, and the town is awesome.
    Last edited by westwoodmom04; 11-10-2017 at 09:26 AM.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    We had a trip a few years ago in March when the snow was not good in Colorado (not much of it, icy in morning, slushy by afternoon). We were in Vail but it was a mediocre season for all of the Colorado resorts. We really like Sun Valley as it is always less crowded than other resorts, but also can have a shorter season.

Utah and Wyoming (Jackson Hole) have snow more reliably late season. We’ve been avoiding Colorado and been going to Park city since it is so easy to get to, planning to try Deer Valley this year. We went to Jackson Hole this summer, flying into the airport there, and loved the area. I would love to go back for a ski trip as they always get tons of snow, and the town is awesome.
    Jackson Hole doesn’t always get tons of snow. I have been there when it was a real problem. There are other things to do there so it wasn’t an issue but the skiing lacked. We went back 5 years later and it was great. Last year Colorado didn’t close many of its resorts until the end of April. They just kept getting snow. The hard thing about skiing is snow isn’t always guaranteed but the great western resorts have lots to offer and are excellent at making snow. I think you will love wherever you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Highly recommend Park City. We are going to make it a yearly trip from MI.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You never know with the snow. Totally depends on the year and who gets the late season dumps. We have done Deer Valley/Park City several times in late March - skiing was always decent but some years more than others. Steamboat has a lot of south facing terrain and so it is gets warm, they lose snow fast, but last year it just kept dumping. If only we could know ahead of time, right? We have been to Jackson when it had been weeks without a good snow and it was dust on crust and we have skied Deer Valley in April with six or eight inch snows every day the first half of the week, but then temps in the 60s at the end of that same week and you have decent skiing in the morning and then it turns to mashed potatoes. It is a roll of the dice!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thank you all for your suggestions they have been so helpful. I think Dh is still leaning toward Park City. Any suggestions for nice ski-in ski-out condos or VRBOs?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not ski-in, ski-out but we rented a house in Pinnacles one year and it was super comfortable and well laid out. Best place we rented in DV (we have gone four times, though not for a few years). Looks right at the mountain so has a nice view as well. Right on the shuttle stop about three minutes from the base. At DV you can valet your skis and boots overnight for free so we just left all our things there, suited up in the a.m. and took the shuttle over and put our boots and skis on in the lodge. Great for taking kids to ski school too as you aren't schlepping around in your ski boots for a long time before getting on the slopes.

There are lots of ski-in, ski-out spots mid-mountain in Silver Lake Village, but if you stay up there and want to go into town, it is a much further trip on the shuttle than from Pinnacles. And a trip down to the base for ski school too. With you being a non-skier, it might be nice to be closer to town. Although if you are into the spa scene, up at Empire there is the Montage, mid-mountain there is the Stein-Erickson Lodge and at the base you have the St. Regis (great apres ski drinking spot). All have spas and nice places to eat/hang out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast