Default Handheld game rec for 10yo boy - Adopt an Angel

Hi - hoping I can get some feedback on a good option for a handheld game for the young boy that is our Adopt an Angel this year.

Backstory:
    He's 10 and his 2 dream gifts are football and handheld game. We need to provide a minimum of 4 gifts so a $100 rec isn't going to work in the budget for this. Currently carrying 2 mortgages awaiting closing that occurs after gift drop off. Angels are randomly assigned otherwise I would have chosen differently.

My girls aren't big enough to play with these so unsure of what actually qualifies in this category. I did see a Sega Genesis that fits the budget and comes with a lot of games. If I could score a Nintendo my fear is that there wouldn't be any way for the young guy to get additional games.

Appreciate any advice and/or deal recs

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’d get a Kindle Fire and an amazon gift card so they can buy games/ apps. Not the same as a DS but you can’t afford that. I don’t know enough about the Genesis but I’m betting it’s not very exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I’d get a Kindle Fire and an amazon gift card so they can buy games/ apps. Not the same as a DS but you can’t afford that. I don’t know enough about the Genesis but I’m betting it’s not very exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is brilliant! Would have never occurred to me. Thank you!!

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Good! I know it was in the Target Black Friday ad for maybe $30? Google shows that it'll be that price on Amazon too. Seems like a great price for a really versatile item.