Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Recommendations for travel wipes for overnight flights?

For those of you who travel overseas frequently, how do you clean up onflight before you get off the plane? I am assuming you use some sort of travel wipes and change clothes in the bathroom of the plane. Will you share what products you use? We travel internationally once a year and I hate waking up feeling sweaty and messy. I don’t typically many makeup products in my carryon so I sleep with my makeup on and add touch ups when I arrive. But honestly I’d love to just take my makeup off and start over once we get close to landing. I’d love a recommendation for a refreshing body wipe too. When Dh travels for work he takes a shower at an airline club when he can but when we travel with all our kids, I can’t do that. And there is rarely time to do much at the airport after landing. I guess I’ve yet to perfect the travel-with-kids hygiene thing.

Next summer we will be traveling to Normandy (long flight and rental car) AND ds1 is at the age where he needs daily bathing and will be needing to freshen up in the airplane too. (Remember when kids could go several days and not get stinky?) I gotta figure this out.

Suggestions?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I do nothing. I don’t wear makeup generally so that isn’t an issue. I shower once I get to my actual destination. DH showers when we get to the destination too. We often have a two hour drive after our flight. I can’t imagine there is anything I could do on an actual flight to make me feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I don't wear make up on long flights like that, for the reasons you're complaining of. It just makes my face become sweaty especially if Ive fallen asleep!

I bring my small make up bag in my carry on purse with just powder foundation, mascara and lipstick with lipgloss to put on once we're nearing to land at destination. For wipes I use Burt bee's wipes and boogie grape wipes for my kids, very effective for them and a change of clothes for them. I tend to travel in comfortable clothes that's layered (i.e. camisole, 3/4 or light long sleeve shirt and maybe a cardigan and a jacket if departing in middle of winter. I do moisturize before, during and after landing as well drink plenty of water and that really helps me to feel relatively refreshed at landing. During summer travel I wear flip flops or wedges and bring socks with me to put on during flights since my feet always get cold.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

There is no way I would want to spend that much time in an airplane head or even airport bathroom to do makeup and change. Ick. I bring Neutrogena face wipes for kids and me but don’t always use them. Wear basic makeup and even on overnight flights (we fairly regularly take the nonstop 6pm to London that lands at daybreak), just freshen with powder, lips etc. Kids have worn comfy pants and shirts and I bring a change of clothes for them (and a clean shirt for myself in case of spills or emergency) but I almost never change. When they were younger, they’d sleep and maybe even wear pj’s but now comfy neat clothes work. Kids have travel slippers for long haul flights. But I don’t do that much different than a regular flight. We push on and once at destination take a hot shower!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I always pack a change of clothes but we only change if there has been a spill or other event that would require a dry set of clothes. We pack contact cases, solution, glasses, mini disposable toothbrushes and wipes. DH and I put our glasses on when we get on the plane and contacts on just before landing. DH and I both brush our teeth before landing and then shower when we get to our destination.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don’t wear make up on an international over night flight and wear comfy clothes for sleeping. I brush my teeth after dinner & before landing but no way would i change clothes in an airplane bathroom. You can use any kind of face wipes on your body if needed and maybe reapply deodorant if needed but unless you are meeting someone upon arrival I wouldn’t do much more than that. You could change at airport especially if you have club access but I would prefer to be on my way to destination sooner. Exception would be if you have another connecting flight. Then I would consider showering and changing in Club but only if i were meeting someone at airport.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    I do nothing. I don’t wear makeup generally so that isn’t an issue. I shower once I get to my actual destination. DH showers when we get to the destination too. We often have a two hour drive after our flight. I can’t imagine there is anything I could do on an actual flight to make me feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I don’t wear make up on an international over night flight and wear comfy clothes for sleeping. I brush my teeth after dinner & before landing but no way would i change clothes in an airplane bathroom. You can use any kind of face wipes on your body if needed and maybe reapply deodorant if needed but unless you are meeting someone upon arrival I wouldn’t do much more than that. You could change at airport especially if you have club access but I would prefer to be on my way to destination sooner. Exception would be if you have another connecting flight. Then I would consider showering and changing in Club but only if i were meeting someone at airport.
    Agree with these posts.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I fly internationally alone and with the kids several times a year.

I have a pouch that I keep filled with the following: eye glasses, sleep mask, set of contacts for arrival day, travel sized solid deodorant, Pacifica brand (available at Target) face wipes and deodorant wipes, travel sized evian mist, lip balm, moisturizer, travel sized toothbrush and toothpaste, mascara, eyebrow pencil and lip gloss. Before I sleep on a flight, I brush teeth, take out my contacts, use a face wipe, mist my face and slather moisturizer and lip balm on. Also remove shoes and put on cozy socks that I always keep in my travel bag for overnight flights. Before arrival, I brush teeth, use wipes again (face and deodorant - I'll use the face ones elsewhere if I feel less than fresh too, but I don't ever change my clothes on the plane), add new deodorant and, if I want makeup, I just put on eyebrow pencil, mascara and some lip gloss. I don't wear much more than that normally anyway. I also have EO brand wipes on my carry-on and use those to wipe down the seats and tray tables when we first get on board. The kids have a smaller pouch in their bags that just has toothbrushes and toothpaste, a sleep mask and a lip balm. They borrow from me for wipes and other things.

If I really am going to be on the go all day and need to be more presentable than my travel clothes make me, I do a quick change of clothes in the airport bathroom once landed. But usually when we travel as a family, I just keep on my travel clothes and peel layers on and off as needed until we reach our destination.

I can't think of a time we have all changed clothes, other than on true long haul flights when we usually have time on a long layover to check into an airport hotel for a few hours of sleep and showers (e.g., flying through the middle east to southeast asia or Australia), but those trips have the time built in for that and are more than one day of travel.

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Agree with everyone’s responses so far. I️ bring extra clothes for everyone, but only change in case of spills. I️ don’t work makeup and apply concealer powder and mascara before landing. I️ also brush my teeth and use face wipes.

If you need more J & J has baby wipes that work well because they are larger. They are in the baby area and I️ bought some for my DD to use after gym.

I don't feel gross. I shower before we fly maybe a few hours.

But the lounges in the airports that we visit lots of times have showers, so if I felt gross I would just use those.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast