Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Minecraft Books

Default Minecraft Books

Any recommendations? My kids are 6 and 9 (similar reading levels) and they have recently discovered Minecraft. Thinking of gettting a set, or a few titles for Xmas, if it gets them reading.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD has been reading the handbooks, which she enjoys, and I'm fine with because, like you said, it means she's reading. (She is 7.)

If you get the handbooks, get the "Updated Version" ones, as they are newer and have more information about the game since the originals were published.

I'm not at all familiar with the graphic novels starring Steve.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My kids also love the handbooks. There are tons of books out there. I don't know that the literature quality of these books is very high. A lot of them are pretty much fanfiction. Maybe check out "Minecraft: The Island" by Max Brooks. My DS2 really liked that one (he's 10 but often reads under his reading level). Could you check at the public library? One thing that amazes me is how quickly minecraft themed books are being written and distributed. It is really hard to keep up. The juvenile books librarians seem to be a good source of information. Hope this helps!

Thank you both! I started to look through the books on Amazon and some of the novels didn't look all that great. I will check out the handbooks and the Brooks book too. Minecraft books are hard to come by at the library, especially at school - they are a hot commodity!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    My kids also love the handbooks. There are tons of books out there. I don't know that the literature quality of these books is very high. A lot of them are pretty much fanfiction. ...
    They're not particularly literary, but for reluctant readers (like my DD), they are heaven-sent!

She loves longer, more complex narratives when we read together, but she doesn't get as discouraged easily when thumbing through the Handbooks, so I'm gritting my teeth and hoping they're a gateway to other options as she gains confidence.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS8 received the Minecraft Handbooks last Christmas. This year, he wants the Guide Books. There are four in the series now, and more are scheduled to be published next year.

As far as non-fiction, his favorite series is Diary of an 8-Bit Warrior. He is also reading the Unofficial Gamers series (the ones written by Winter Morgan). He didn’t like the Diary of a Minecraft Zombie series. I am giving him the Minecraft The Island for Christmas.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    My DD loved these, too, they are available as a box set from Costco sometimes. They did an article in the CostcoConnection about what the books are about and why the author wrote them for his son and what lessons he was aiming to teach that I thought was interesting:
    http://www.costcoconnection.com/conn...510?pg=82#pg82

I’ve added these suggestions to my Amazon cart. Now I’m just crossing my fingers for some good holiday book coupons.

Quote Originally Posted by newnana View Post
    My DD loved these, too, they are available as a box set from Costco sometimes. They did an article in the CostcoConnection about what the books are about and why the author wrote them for his son and what lessons he was aiming to teach that I thought was interesting:
    http://www.costcoconnection.com/conn...510?pg=82#pg82
    Thanks for linking the article. Some reviews on Amazon said they didn’t like the books bc the character was a bully and I may have avoided them bc of that, but the article puts it in perspective.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast