Amy G is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Google Home Mini or Echo Dot

I want to buy one of these on Black Friday, but I am not sure which one is best for us. My daughter, 6, likes to ask Siri how to say certain words in Spanish, and I want one of these devices for her to be able to do this, without my phone. Anyone have a preference?

If you have Amazon Prime I would definitely go for the Echo Dot as my kids love to play the music from Amazon. There is a subscription for the music which gets you access to all music, but they are content with what Alexa offers through Amazon Prime.

Mary (sayma)- I can't private message you for some reason! It says you don't allow PMs.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Search echo vs Google Home and you will find articles comparing the two. We like our Echo but no experience with google Home.

I did read articles, but it doesn't really say much when a child will use it, you know? I read on another board that the Home mini has issues with the buttons sticking on top, so much that Google disabled those buttons. I think that will be the dealbreaker for me.

jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Amy G View Post
    I want to buy one of these on Black Friday, but I am not sure which one is best for us. My daughter, 6, likes to ask Siri how to say certain words in Spanish, and I want one of these devices for her to be able to do this, without my phone. Anyone have a preference?
    Ok, so I just asked Alexa how to say something in Spanish. She responded with, "I can't pronounce it, but I've sent the answer to the Alexa app." And then suggested to enable a translating app for her to access. I don't have the app on my phone to enable it, so I can't give you an accurate review, but that's the initial result. My *guess* is that Google Home is going to operate like the Google assistant on my phone, which when I ask it to translate something, it can.

That said, my 6yo has an Echo Dot in her room and loves it. We have a monthly subscription to Music Unlimited and she really enjoys that. She can also ask Alexa how to spell words and uses it to set timers (I give her time limits for certain things). We ask Alexa what time it is and what the weather is going to be all the time. Mainly though, we got her the Dot for her room for the intercom feature. I can call her up from my bedroom with my Dot and that has been incredibly convenient with a nursing baby!

Hope that helps!
    Jennifer
    SAHM to DD1 (11yo) and DD2 (5yo)

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to here! And those are uses I had never thought of for the Dot.

Hi Amy, weird...just checked my settings and I have it so I can get PMs. Sorry! Want to email me instead? [email protected]
    Last edited by sayma; 11-16-2017 at 05:17 PM.
    Mary
    Mommy to two wonderful girls!