hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Thanksgiving recipes

Hi all I am cooking for the first time in years and years.

Looking for amazing no fail recipes for
    Turkey
    Brussel Sprouts
    Apple Pie
    Pumpkin Pie

Thanks!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Can we add to this request? I too am hosting and have three vegetarians coming. Ideas for sides would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    Can we add to this request? I too am hosting and have three vegetarians coming. Ideas for sides would be great.
    Yes add away!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have used the Alton Brown brine and method for roast turkey in the past, but folks RAVE about The Chew cheesecloth method.

To be perfectly honest, I kind of hated turkey until I had it deep-fried, but haven't tried cooking it that way myself yet, mostly because MIL thinks DH and I will set the house on fire. (She's not wrong to be worried because it is a huge concern - one tiny drip of moisture into your super-heated fat can result in a geyser of oil and flame.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Alton Brown's method BUT I use Fire and Flavor's brine kit. The grave is delicious! You can buy that brine kit at a lot of stores, like Whole Foods and Bed, Bath and Beyond.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    I have made the Good Eats baked macaroni & cheese (assuming "vegetarian" does not also mean "no egg or dairy") ... I usually sub in minced shallot for the onion and mix Colby Jack with sharp cheddar for the cheese. (It really does need the sharper cheeses to taste anything like it's supposed to!)

For my brother the vegetarian, I have made the quinoa stuffing from this recipe at The Chew as a stand-alone dish, but it would also work stuffed into roasted acorn squashes. The quinoa gives it enough weight to be served on its own.

If you/your guests don't like pomegranate, I'd recommend dried cranberries or even dried cherries, just pre-soak them in a bit of warm water before you add them to the quinoa mixture.

I might also use parsley instead of the mint if making as a stand-alone; the fresh herbs give the "stuffing" a lot of body.

And, of course, I've done pear-and-cranberry spinach salad with goat cheese. (I just kind of toss everything together so it looks pretty & serve with white balsamic vinaigrette or something similarly citrusy to complement all the flavors.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle