Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Help! I think ds needs to start shaving!

My 11 year old ds seems to have more than the beginnings of a mustache! He did not have one when he was younger, but this has been going on for several months. He is embarrassed, says kids are noticing and he wants to shave.

I know nothing about male shaving. Can someone tell me the basics? Do I just pick up a razor, shaving cream, and have him stroke downwards?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thats pretty young to start shaving. None of mine started until at least high school. Even if it starts to get the darkening hairs they may stay like that for a while. Honestly I wouldn't let any of mine shave with a razor at 11 I'd probably opt for an inexpensive electric one before going razor route. When in doubt youtube it LOL DH did the shaving instructions with my older 2 ds3 is 14 and is no where NEAR shaving yet he has a little darkening on his upper lip but not what I would consider ready to shave
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

STOP - your scaring me! My oldest is 12 - but no signs yet.

I think I would do as above mentioned - - get an electric to start. Less chance of him cutting and REALLY embarrassing himself! (yes - i'm just remembering my legs when I started. I thought it was going fine.... until minutes later I looked like a massacre! HA!
    Last edited by Mikey0709; 11-17-2017 at 12:12 PM.

MIne is 13 and probably started showing signs at 11 also. He has the hairs on upper lip, but does not want to shave. In talking with another mom, once they start, they get to do this the rest of their life. So I would hold out as long as possible. I have taken a pair of scissors and done a little trim, nothing drastic. And I noticed the other day when we were outside on a sunny day, that he had quite a few stray blond ones across the face. I just took a pair of scissors and cut those off for now also. I am not sure when he will start shaving, I think most start in HS. OP I would remind your son that puberty does not affect everyone at the same time. Do not worry his friends will be there soon enough. My son is 5' 8" now and I am shocked at how many are way taller than him.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Mine started shaving in eighth grade. He has dark hair so it’s quite obvious but it’s not so bad that he needs to use a razor, so I gave him one of these and this seems to do the job for now and is safe to use. He Doesn’t care that it’s pink but I think there might be neutral versions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GJ...56PG2WKV4C9PN6

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Mine had to start shaving at 12. He has very dark hair and the hairs on his upper lip really bugged him. He does just have a basic razor and some shaving cream. The simple lip hairs are easy to take care of. He has something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Fusi...s%2Brazor&th=1
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for the replies! I should say he will be 12 in a couple of a months, and has relatively light skin for his dark hair..so it really stands out.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Mine started at 12, but only shaves about once every couple of weeks. I thought the hair would grow back coarse and stubbly, but it is just the soft downy hair he had before. I don’t think he really *needed* to start shaving when he did, but he really wanted to and it makes him feel more confident in how he looks.

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DS started shaving his shadow this year, and I was also surprised that it doesn't have to be an every day thing. Maybe every couple weeks. So starting doesn't have to mean a whole new routine! If he's embarrassed, I don't see any reason not to start. Shaving cream, razor, done. DD started shaving her legs and underarms, and it's been very easy and smooth - she's almost 12, and uses a real razor, no issues.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

boogiemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Mine started early too. I suggest having him shave, however you decide to do so, over a school break so it isn’t so obvious. This way, it it less likely to become a topic of conversation at school. My oldest did it over Christmas break a few years ago and no one noticed when he returned. Just as he’d hoped. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tani

DS1 - 8/01
    DS2 - 4/05

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast