Default Nest/Phillips Hue products

For those of you with either or both nest thermostat, co smoke alarm and Phillip hue lights.

Does it have to be compatible with your existing wiring or is it overly complicated to install and wire?

Trying to update our household with more current products. I like Phillips hue particularly because of many options to change lighting and also to flash alerting us of doorbell and phone ringing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have all of those things. They're EXTREMELY simple to install. You just take off your old thermostat and connect like 3 existing colored wires to themselves and that's it. DH has never even changed a light bulb and did it!!!

Same with the smoke detector as long as it's replacing an already hard wired smoke detector. I installed it myself. Nest makes several installation videos for all their products so I'd watch those first.

The Hue light bulbs just replace all your existing light bulbs. Nothing to install there except plugging in the Hue hub.

I have a Ring doorbell that we just had installed a few months ago but I may replace it with the Nest Hello doorbell that's coming out in 2018. I haven't been a big fan of the Ring but have been extremely happy with all our Nest products (we have a Nest outdoor camera overlooking our pool as well).

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by essnce629; 11-17-2017 at 05:15 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

JBaxter is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have the phillips hue lights and they are really easy to install
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I have all of those things. They're EXTREMELY simple to install. You just take off your old thermostat and connect like 3 existing colored wires to themselves and that's it. DH has never even changed a light bulb and did it!!!

Same with the smoke detector as long as it's replacing an already hard wired smoke detector. I installed it myself. Nest makes several installation videos for all their products so I'd watch those first.

The Hue light bulbs just replace all your existing light bulbs. Nothing to install there except plugging in the Hue hub.

I have a Ring doorbell that we just had installed a few months ago but I may replace it with the Nest Hello doorbell that's coming out in 2018. I haven't been a big fan of the Ring but have been extremely happy with all our Nest products (we have a Nest outdoor camera overlooking our pool as well).

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Thanks! That’s the kind of info I need to know! Dh was sort of grumbling that it’ll be overly complicated to install and going through looking for an electrical to install it.

We don’t have hard wired smoke detector, so that might be bit more trickier. The hue lights sound straightforward. Any specific places that sells them for a fair price? Since we’ll be replacing several rooms lamps etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    We don’t have hard wired smoke detector, so that might be bit more trickier. The hue lights sound straightforward. Any specific places that sells them for a fair price? Since we’ll be replacing several rooms lamps etc.
    There's a battery powered Nest Protect now so that will be even easier to install. The smoke detector I was replacing was already hard wired so that's why I bought a hard wired Nest Protect.
    https://www.amazon.com/Nest-Protect-...dp/B00XV1RCRY/

The Hue lights don't go down in price very often, but I've used Camel Camel Camel to set up a notification whenever the price drops. I've never bought a ton at once. I have always bought only 1 or 2 at a time (one room at a time), but every lamp in our house contains them now. You'll need to start out with the Hue Starter Kit since you need the hub. And you'll have to decide if you want the white light bulbs or colored. I have colored ones in every lamp. The white ones are much cheaper.
    Last edited by essnce629; 11-18-2017 at 02:26 AM.

Nest Protect is down to $99 on Amazon. They're price matching the Black Friday special on the Nest website.

https://www.amazon.com/Nest-Protect-...dp/B00XV1RCRY/