Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just ran across this in my blog reader and remembered this post. It might be helpful if you need board books?

http://www.themomcreative.com/2017/1...n-2-books.html

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thriftbooks is another used book website. I've never ordered kids books from them but the cookbooks I got were in great shape.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Clearly not classics, but my second-grader can't stop cackling over the Dogman series. The 2nd and 3rd versions are under $5. And these are hardback, which is nice. That could be an option for 7- and 8-year-old boys.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Some of the Diary of a Wimpy kids books are in the $5-$6 range on Amazon, and the 10-book set was $50 earlier this morning. (One of my boys also loves the Dogman series.)

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Clearly not classics, but my second-grader can't stop cackling over the Dogman series. The 2nd and 3rd versions are under $5. And these are hardback, which is nice. That could be an option for 7- and 8-year-old boys.
    My 1st grader also LOVES the Dogman series. She got her first at the Scholastic Book Fair and devoured it -- reading it 6 times over the next weekend so I picked up the next two from her brother's book fair (the next week). And she'll be getting the 4th for Christmas (It comes out the day after Christmas, so perfect timing to receive from her cousins as a gift)
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Quote Originally Posted by vonfirmath View Post
    My 1st grader also LOVES the Dogman series. She got her first at the Scholastic Book Fair and devoured it -- reading it 6 times over the next weekend so I picked up the next two from her brother's book fair (the next week). And she'll be getting the 4th for Christmas (It comes out the day after Christmas, so perfect timing to receive from her cousins as a gift)
    Not to go off topic, but WHY are they releasing it Dec. 26?!? I looked last night because I thought it could be another gift from the grandparents. Aaghh! I mean, we'll get it, but I feel like they missed the boat!

ETA: And of course it's great for girls! I just hear my DS talking about it with his guy friends. Did not mean to be sexist. lol
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Look for box sets at Costco that you can separate. Otherwise, Marshalls and TJ Maxx also has discounted books.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Not to go off topic, but WHY are they releasing it Dec. 26?!? I looked last night because I thought it could be another gift from the grandparents. Aaghh! I mean, we'll get it, but I feel like they missed the boat!

ETA: And of course it's great for girls! I just hear my DS talking about it with his guy friends. Did not mean to be sexist. lol
    I didn't take it as sexist. My son never cared for the Dogman books. My daughter LOVES them (And my 5th grade son who will read anything reads them now). I read that as your son liked it. Nothing more But I wanted to add the information about the next book coming out. And the drawing instructions in the back (which adds to the usefulness of the book, IMHO)
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    Look for box sets at Costco that you can separate. Otherwise, Marshalls and TJ Maxx also has discounted books.
    Very smart!

Dogman has been the first thing my reluctant reader 2nd grader has wanted to read for fun, so I'm a big fan (as long as I don't personally have to read it aloud). My now 4th grader loved them too at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    I was at Costco today and thought of this thread. They had the Ramona set - $26 for 15 books - at less than $2 a book, I think that's about as good as it gets.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast