Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Deals on kids books?

I am collecting children's books for a local organization. We need a lot and the kids range in age from K to middle school, so can use a wide range of titles. Several of us used the Amazon $5 off book purchase. Anyone seen any other book deals we might be able to take advantage of to stretch our $??

umsh is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Are you able to donate used books? When I’ve purchased for my kids classroom libraries and school library (in a very underfunded area), I have gotten amazing deals from our local public libraries “Friends of the Library” used book sales. They have a sale a few times a year with Childrens hardcovers for a dollar, and they have various fill a bag/box sales too...I shop multiple libraries for these sales and over the years have scored really good books for an unbeatable price for the schools (and us!) this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by umsh; 11-30-2017 at 12:10 PM.

We can have some used books to donate to the organization (and I use your tip and will look at Library sales for those!) , but we are hoping to get one new one for each child they service so that it can be a part of their Christmas gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by acmom View Post
    We can have some used books to donate to the organization (and I use your tip and will look at Library sales for those!) , but we are hoping to get one new one for each child they service so that it can be a part of their Christmas gifts.
    Do any of your kids' teachers do Scholastic Book Clubs? Each of their catalogues (from preK-middle grades) always has at least one book for $1 (and usually a couple for $2), and at this time of year, many of them are holiday themed. When I was teaching I'd buy these books as my students' holiday gift. Not sure how many children you're buying for, but I think it won't get much better than $1-$2 per book.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Deals on kids books?

Library sales and used books. There’s no reason, imo, not to buy used if the quality is like new (and it often is!).

ETA- missed your follow up. I’d try Target.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Check on Bookoutlet. I've never gotten one (except from scratch and dent) that showed any signs of wear other than you might find at a book store.

ETA: From their website " The books we purchase are all new and represent publishers’ excess inventory or in many cases excess inventory at bookstores that has been returned to the publisher. The publisher puts a small mark or line on the edge of the book identifying it as a “bargain book” that can no longer be returned to the publisher for credit. Some books have no mark on the edge but most do. If you can live with a small mark on the edge for a 50% to 90% discount then you have found your reader’s paradise."

You can also get 5% off right now through Ebates + free shipping on $35.
    Last edited by klwa; 11-30-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Quote Originally Posted by umsh View Post
    Do any of your kids' teachers do Scholastic Book Clubs? Each of their catalogues (from preK-middle grades) always has at least one book for $1 (and usually a couple for $2), and at this time of year, many of them are holiday themed. When I was teaching I'd buy these books as my students' holiday gift. Not sure how many children you're buying for, but I think it won't get much better than $1-$2 per book.

Yes, I used to get the $1 books for my students as a gift when I taught too! I reached out to my kids teachers but both said they weren't doing an order that would be here in time. 😢

Aw that's too bad, bc that's probably the best source for inexpensive new books.

Do you have a Scholastic warehouse sale near you? Those aren't as cheap as the book clubs but they're not bad, usually they're half off the cover price...you could get new paperbacks for $2-2.50.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do you have an Ollie’s Bargain Outlet? I shop there for books for my kids, prices range from .99-3.99 usually. The books do usually ha e a black line across the bottom just to mark that they are from a bargain store, but otherwise are new books.

Thanks for all the good ideas! I didn't know about the Bookoutlet site and never thought about checking our Ollie's for books. And yes, we do have a Scholastic Warehouse in town - I actually coordinate our school's Scholastic Book Fairs each year so don't know how I forgot about that option! They aren't open to the public for regular shopping but are having one of their Warehouse Sales before my deadline so I'll hit that too!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast