Default Disneyland Hotel

OK, one more question. I'm looking at trip just for Disneyland in February. It will only be DD and myself. We will be meeting brother and family (four of them). Neither family has ties to a certain hotel chain. I've been looking at the ones along Harbor Blvd and getting overwhelmed. Any personal experience on ones to go to or avoid?

We're going in early February before President's Day weekend. Flying in and only doing Disneyland for three days.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I figured we’d stay at the Courtyard next time. Lots of new places have opened since I was last there. Back then, the #1 pick per Trip Advisor was the Candy Cane Inn. I don’t usually stay at motels but it was very well run. But, lots of other options now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

as a family, we've stayed at Howard Johnson, the new Marriott (is it courtyard? the one with the big water slides) and Disneyland Hotel.

The Hojo and new marriott are practically next to each other and about same distance away to parks. THe Hojo's has a waterpark and is ok (very cheap!), but it DEFINITELY has the "budget" feel to it. I probably wouldn't stay there again just bc of that.

the Marriott (next to Mimi's) is SUPER NICE. we stayed there with a kids suite. it had 2 showers, kids bunkbeds in a separate room with seating area. though i guess if u are going with just your dd this is probably not an issue.

we just did Disneyland Hotel and while it was very nice, my 2 complaints: 1) it is not much closer, especially when the Monorail is shutdown bc it's too hot (unlikely in february but u never know! it hapepned to us in late November). u still have to walk thru Downtown Disney and that can get anoying with kids wanting to go in certain stores etc. 2) the rooms are rather smaller than rooms/suites Marriott. I felt like we didn't have a lot of place to put stuff. 3) it is ridiculously expensive IMO ($500/night+).

though with DLH u get 1hr early entry to the parks, so for us, especially going in busy season, that made it worth it. and the DLH has lots of amenties that the kids love (building lobby had this really cool model train setup that my kids loved). i swear DLH probably not any closer than Hojo's /Marriott..but at least u dont' have to walk along Harbor Blvd and traffic etc (u instead have to walk thru Downtown disney). And yes, there is the monorail for DLH but sometimes there are raelly long lines or it is down.

We are probably going to try Grand California next time, just for proximity but to still stay-on-site. DIsneyland is just so crowded these days i think early entry is really needed to be able to go on all the rides we want to do and not wait in long lines. last time we went, the max we waited was 30 min for any ride (most was 5-10 min) so we got to do a lot of stuff.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 12-05-2017 at 02:14 PM.

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We’ve stayed in one of the family suites in the Marriott Courtyard mentioned by PP and it was great! Very close to the park and had a nice pool/water play area that my kids enjoyed.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We really like the Courtyard Marriott Theme Park Entrance also. Every room has two showers, which is nice. It can be pricey (for example, can range from $2XX to $4XX for the most basic, standard "no view" room).

We are going to try out the new Hyatt House Anaheim next time for our Disneyland trip around New Years. New, supposedly close (not as close as the Courtyard though), different, large room configs to choose from, and free breakfast. The Courtyard was running about $450 per night, AAA rate for the most basic room during that time, so we nixed that.

When the kids were young, we used to stay at the Grand Californian. Convenient, but the rooms weren't special or roomy for the price. The early park entry is a nice perk. If it is just you two, you may not care about a big room. We also used to stay at the Hyatt Orange County, but it isn't really walking distance (shuttle to the parks).
    Last edited by MMMommy; 12-08-2017 at 05:07 AM.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The HoJo is in the middle of being renovated so if you are considering that keep that in mind. Pay for a non freeway facing room though.

My brother loves the Super 8 on Ball and Harbor just north of DTD. It is probably a 5-7 minute walk to the tram pick up near the parking garage.

There is a Hotel Indigo on Katella that is only a few years old and looks nice. It is slightly a further walk from the main gate, but it is close to the Anaheim Garden Walk for food and such. There is a newer Staybridge Suites which is further away at Manchester and I-5, but like all of the “good neighbor” hotels will have a shuttle that will leave off at the main enterance.

Disneyland seems to always be busy these days. I would plan on park hoppers for each day and don’t be disappointed if you spend more time at one park than the other. You are potentially picking a busy time as in my experience we went the Friday of presidents week last year and it was the busiest I had ever seen it and we always went in July or August when I was growing up! If this is going to be a once in a lifetime vacation then I would probably splurge on those new front of the line passes. I know it is an added cost but I would hate to spend my entire vacation waiting in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)