Default What to wear to dh’s company holiday party no guidance given

So tonight is Dh’s company holiday party and I am not sure what to wear. This is his first year at the company and the invite gives no insight. I asked him if it was dress up and he said he didn’t think so but would ask. Well he asked and told me that people would probably wear something like I had on. At the time I was wearing what I wore to jury duty...a skirt, leggings, boots and an informal sweater. He asked one of the guys who seems to like shoes so who may have some fashion awareness but there is such a bigger range for woman than guys. I asked to see the evite which said little besides the place and time. It just said come celebrate the holidays. The place is a restaurant in Boston which has different configurations so it’s hard to know whether there will be a distinct room or just one level etc. The co has several hundred employees though I’m not sure how many are based in Boston. Dh is on the mgt team. Please help me figure out what I should wear. My preference is comfortable however I don’t want to underdress.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Black dress and boots is versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Black dress is definitely the way to go.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Just bought a black dress
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would err on the side of dressing up a bit vs going casual. I would rather be a bit overdressed than under dressed, but that's me. A dress and boots/comfortable heels sounds perfect. Some nice jewelry and you're good to go.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Whatever you pick, make a note somewhere so you remember what others wore and what to try for next year. I set an alert to go off on my phone a few weeks ago that said for my dh’s party “don’t get too dressy; skirt and sweater are good”. Now I don’t have to remember.
    A wrap dress has always been versatile for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would definitely err on dressier. Holiday parties tend to skew dressy I think. My former workplace was very casual, but people still dressed up for our holiday parties. I personally would not wear black, although it's always a safe bet. I like color for the holidays.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I would definitely err on dressier. Holiday parties tend to skew dressy I think. My former workplace was very casual, but people still dressed up for our holiday parties. I personally would not wear black, although it's always a safe bet. I like color for the holidays.
    I work construction but several of the ladies are taking off early the day of the party to go home and get dressed for the party. Tells me they are wearing something special.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd err on the side of dressier, so no jeans. I probably wouldn't go as far as cocktail dress dressier if you aren't sure but there are lots of cute middle ground holiday outfit possibilities. Something like black pencil skirt, cute top, sparkly jewelry, black tights and heels or dressy boots would be pretty safe.

I really like some of the lacy and velvet tops out this year.