Default Stackable front loader washer/dryer...love it or hate it?

I've pondered this idea for years....we have the washer and dryer side by side right now, but it drives me nuts because our laundry room does not have a utility sink. We've thought of putting one in the garage, but I'd rather have one in the laundry room. If we went stackable, we would have room to do it. It seems that you lose some capacity with the stackable units, moreso with the washing machine if I recall correctly, but I can't recall for sure. We do a lot of laundry, about a load a day. We are also a fairly tall family.

The downside is that we won't be able to put anything on top of the dryer, which we kind of use a an area to put stuff when we come home, like my purse, things that we have to bring out out to the car, the garage, etc.

So tell me if you love or hate your stackable!
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

It’s fine. We have Electrolux machines, which have a very large capacity. Our laundry room is small so we don’t have space to have them side by side. Only downside is that my younger kids (8 and 4) can’t help out.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I asked this exact same question down to the utility sink a couple weeks ago - can't search for thread right now but you should be able to find it.

We don't have room for anything else and just replaced ours a month ago. There is no difference in capacity - they are the normal Whirlpool machines. If you get closet depth machines, then you lose capacity.
    We got the mid-level Whirlpool washer and dryer - http://www.big-georges.com/laundry/w...ers/WFW85HEFC/

My biggest annoyance with it is that it is in a high traffic area between the door to the garage and the rest of the house, and we are constantly bumping it and pushing buttons accidentally. This could be avoided if we locked the control panel, but that is never going to happen consistently in this house. I do lock it when I'm doing laundry after a couple of times of messing up a load.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

There was a thread a month or so ago on the same topic..... http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...d-washer-dryer

We used to have one in our condo and I did not like it but this may have been due to the fact that it was situated in a tight closet. It was super difficult to deal with if something fell behind it or if we had to have a repair person come out. i cringed when our architect mentioned potentially having one when we do a renovation that we are planning. It seems like others here have had better experiences than I had and that there are more options with better loading capacity now.