Default Tenderloin - quantity to buy

Our Xmas just went from 4 to 11. I'm revamping menu and think I'll make a turkey and a beef tenderloin. I'm not cooking for leftovers, so thinking just a 12 lb turkey, but not sure on the beef tenderloin. Is 3 lbs too little?

Percycat is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I generally try to plan 6 oz of beef per person, so if I were serving just the tenderloin, I would purchase a 4lb tenderloin for 11 people; a 3lb tenderloin would feed 8 people. Since you are also planning to serve a 12 lb turkey, which should typically feed 8 people, a 3lb tenderloin seems more than enough to me. You are going to have the best guess on how much meat you will need because you have the best idea of how big of an appetite your guests will have and which type of meat they will choose.

Hope this helps and I hope your guests enjoy the meal!

Quote Originally Posted by Percycat View Post
    I generally try to plan 6 oz of beef per person, so if I were serving just the tenderloin, I would purchase a 4lb tenderloin for 11 people; a 3lb tenderloin would feed 8 people. Since you are also planning to serve a 12 lb turkey, which should typically feed 8 people, a 3lb tenderloin seems more than enough to me. You are going to have the best guess on how much meat you will need because you have the best idea of how big of an appetite your guests will have and which type of meat they will choose.

Hope this helps and I hope your guests enjoy the meal!
    This is super-helpful - thank you!

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Are you serving plated meals or will it be passed or buffet? If passed dish or buffet, I would err on the side of extra beef. You don’t want people at the end of the line to miss out.

I would do larger tenderloin. No one here will want turkey if there is tenderloin. We go big with the tenderloin and never regret it. Five pounds and smaller turkey or just turkey breast. Expensive but good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk