Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Updated: DON'T get a JCPenney Sephora GC

I'm updating here because in case there are any savvy BBB moms who want to know, now here is thread. My experience with a JCPenney GC wasn't great. The service level was much, much lower than at a regular Sephora. In fact, I went to the regular store, got help and then tried to buy my stuff at the JCPenney branch. Unfortunately, they also don't carry nearly as much stuff as the regular store either! So I found only one of the three products that I was looking at at the regular store.

The only upside to the JCPenney Sephora GC was that apparently regular JC Penney giftcards work at their inside store branches as well. Smart shoppers sometimes buy regular JCpenney GCs for deep discounts and then use those GCs to buy product at the instore Sephora. I'm just not purchasing enough product for that route to be worthwhile for me but I thought I'd put this out there!

My mom got me a JC Penney Sephora Gift Card instead of a regular one. Are there any advantages or disadvantages one way or the other? A google search says that the JCPenney one has the advantage that it is eligible for better sales. I really wanted a makeover as part of my GC. The instore Sephora's seem squishy--they must be less well stocked, no?

My hopes with the GC were to get a makeover. And use it to purchase either a new eye palette, possibly new blush, hopefully two new lip colors. I don't think my $50 card can cover all of that. I'm hoping that by trying things out I can determine how to use my money most wisely.

TIA!
    Last edited by bisous; 04-23-2018 at 03:42 PM.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think the JCPenny Sephora has a smaller selection than the regular Sephora. Depending on the brand, it will be hard to purchase all of that with just $50.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    I think the JCPenny Sephora has a smaller selection than the regular Sephora. Depending on the brand, it will be hard to purchase all of that with just $50.
    Oh yes. I don't think I'll be able to. I'm hoping to find products I like and then I'm merciless about finding drugstore knockoffs that work, lol. But I agree, the stores seem much smaller.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

With Sephora I have found the makeover bit to be free. The will happily do your makeup with the understanding you will buy something.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You should be able to use it on Sephora.com without any issue. I always use my JC Penney card when I shop on Sephora online. I have been told by the Sephora staff at JC Penney that you are suppose to be able to use the JC Penney card at non JCP Sephora stores as well, but I am always told no. I actually prefer shopping online because the Sephora stores near my are house are always a mess. Ironically at my last trip to the JCP store they had different stock than the mall Sephora.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Oh yes. I don't think I'll be able to. I'm hoping to find products I like and then I'm merciless about finding drugstore knockoffs that work, lol. But I agree, the stores seem much smaller.
    I tend to splurge on make up. It really is one of the only things I tend to spend money on for myself. With that said, I always do drug store blush and lip gloss (nyx is my go to) and cover girl mascara. Otherwise I buy higher end everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    You should be able to use it on Sephora.com without any issue. I always use my JC Penney card when I shop on Sephora online. I have been told by the Sephora staff at JC Penney that you are suppose to be able to use the JC Penney card at non JCP Sephora stores as well, but I am always told no. I actually prefer shopping online because the Sephora stores near my are house are always a mess. Ironically at my last trip to the JCP store they had different stock than the mall Sephora.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh good! Sephora.com will work then. Stock shouldn't be an issue. I do want a makeover. Hope the people at the JCPenney site are good at what they do. I've been doing my makeup approximately the same for seriously 20 years! (Subbing out new products as things as things stop getting manufactured.)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    With Sephora I have found the makeover bit to be free. The will happily do your makeup with the understanding you will buy something.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    I know for sure it is free with $50 purchase. I'm hoping that my GC will allow them to experiment on me so that I can then use my GC to purchase stuff!

I tend to splurge on make up. It really is one of the only things I tend to spend money on for myself. With that said, I always do drug store blush and lip gloss (nyx is my go to) and cover girl mascara. Otherwise I buy higher end everything else.
    I already use Sephora for foundation (IT CC Cream) but yes, L'Oreal mascara, burts bees lipgloss, and whatever cheap eyeliner, eye shadow and blush I can find! I'm sure there are areas where quality matters and areas where the drug store stuff works just fine.

PZMommy, I was coming to update this thread. I just had to laugh because the two things I ended up wanting to buy from Sephora were....blush and lip gloss, lol. I buy drugstore everything else (except foundation--that is IT CC cream).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast