Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default I've Said It Before, I'll Say It Again, Vomit Is My Parenting Kryptonite

We flew out to the ILs' place out West on Christmas night.

Because we were doing the math on the extra legroom seats that DH needs (he's 6'4") and all the $$ we'd shell out towards snacks, entertainment (WiFi), and so on, it worked out to be roughly the same spend to buy seats in First Class.

DD was crazy excited, but she was on her best behavior.

Even when she barfed midflight.

Yes, the flight attendant was actually helpful (thank goodness; I think I would've lost it with her if she hadn't been) and we had another passenger (also an employee of the airline) help us find the cleanup kit and keep DD comfortable.

And if you're ever wondering if they run out of airsickness bags, well, yes. They do. (But thank goodness for large, airline-branded trash bags, which give your child a bigger place to aim. We had several tucked into DD's backpack which came in handy on the drive to the ILs' place.)

I handled it better than most other times she's gotten sick in the middle of the night (though I did argue with her about leaning forward to vomit into the bag, and washing her hands, and climbing into the bed with DH and me and ... yeah, I wasn't totally at my best), but still ... vomit is my parenting kryptonite.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I’m so sorry. I agree, kryptonite.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Vomit is my kryptonite as well. I can handle any sort of bodily fluid except that one. What you went through is seriously one of my parenting nightmares (fortunately hasn't happened to me, knock on wood!). I am so, so sorry. Hope your DD is better soon!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post

And if you're ever wondering if they run out of airsickness bags, well, yes. They do. .
    I feel for you! I can't handle vomit either. One vomited at the kitchen table. On the kitchen table. Huge amounts all over everything. Years ago and I'm still traumatized. It made me so sick! So very hard to ever look at your kitchen table the same after that.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My husband took our son on a guided fishing trip to Tennessee this summer.

While there, my son had one of his CVS episodes. (Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome)
    My husband called in a complete panic because DS had barfed all over the hotel bed. Like completely covered the queen size bed. And they
    had just gotten home from Outback Steakhouse.
    Honestly, I totally laughed. Because I'm the one that usually helps my son and deals with all the vomit. Don't get me wrong, I also hate vomit.
    I just thought it was hysterical that my husband was in such a panic and HE had to deal with it. Not me.

He just kept repeating, "Corie, I've never seen so much vomit come out of one person in my entire life." Made me laugh even harder. LOL.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I hope your DD is feeling better!!

Vomit is the one thing I can’t handle either! Gushing blood I’m fine with. A tiny bit of vomit, and I’m a wreck!! Thankfully my DH can handle vomit better than I can, and he usually deals with the kids then, and I deal with every other illness/injury.

I feel nauseous just reading this thread. I hate hate hate vomit too. I have lost a few pounds the last few months because my kids keep complaining that their stomachs hurt, so I start worrying about vomit and I stop eating the rest of the day because I feel sick.

Once both of my kids started puking all over the minivan within 30 seconds of each other. I just wanted to sell it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Thanks so much everybody! She was mostly back to herself by Tuesday night, but got sick in FIL's truck (!) on Wednesday with about an hour and a half before the ILs' plane touched down.

DH and I raced her back to the ILs' place, stripped & bathed her, put her to bed with a barf bucket - just in case - and chucked everything into the washer (cold, because the hot water is fiddly and hadn't been turned on yet) while DH headed back solo to pick up his folks.

By Thursday, she was 100% better and it didn't appear to be viral. Just gross.

Fingers crossed she'll be fine on the plane home (last year, she barfed as the pilot was pulling out of the final approach because apparently there was a plane on the landing strip he'd been radioed to ... and I ended up breaking FAA regulations to take a plastic baggie of vomit to the restroom. I am not proud of this, but it was necessary. We're taking trash bags with us just in case.)
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    Honestly, I totally laughed. Because I'm the one that usually helps my son and deals with all the vomit. Don't get me wrong, I also hate vomit.
    I just thought it was hysterical that my husband was in such a panic and HE had to deal with it. Not me.

He just kept repeating, "Corie, I've never seen so much vomit come out of one person in my entire life." Made me laugh even harder. LOL.
    I would have laughed at my DH - he was sitting next to DD (I was across the aisle) and trying to deal. He was like "I had no idea what was going on" ... yeah, I'm the one who usually deals with the vomit at home, too, but watching him wig out was pretty funny.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default I've Said It Before, I'll Say It Again, Vomit Is My Parenting Kryptonite

Does she get motion sickness? I did all the time as a kid and had a barf bucket for car rides. I take Bonine medication for any twisty roads and rollercoasters. It’s like Dramamine but doesn’t make me drowsy like Dramamine does.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast