Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ugh, neighbors.

Default Ugh, neighbors.

It's about 20 degrees out.Cold but nothing crazy. We have a PITA 10yo husky. He likes the cold and snow, obviously, being that his breed is designed for sledding in Alaska and such. He was outside for most of the day today. When we try to let him in, he literally stares at us or walks away.

One of our neighbors took it upon themselves to call the police because our "poor dog" is outside in the cold. I showed them our husky, who happily ran over then walked away, and they rolled their eyes and said it's fine. Don't worry about letting him in if he wants to stay out, we aren't doing anything wrong, people are busybodies.

It just pisses me off people have nothing better to do with themselves.

On the bright side, the police officer asked for my mom or dad. So I guess I look young today.

I really really want to post an FYI huskies like cold on our subdivision fb group but am going to refrain. I'm pretty sure I know who called the police but obviously couldn't say for sure except for that it must be someone who lives behind us (we're in the middle of the street with houses that back up to our backyard but our husky's favorite place is under the deck so only the people behind us would be able to see him.)
    Last edited by AngB; 12-30-2017 at 07:18 PM.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

For the love of Pete. Glad you look like a kid !!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ugh! I hate when people don’t mind their business. If they were that concerned why didn’t they come and talk to you first before calling the police?

My neighbor who fosters dogs exactly had that scenario last winter! One of the busybodies called the police on her when their husky wouldn’t go in.

But two of their kids were outside making a fort with the dog majority of the time! So if kids are fine, then a husky would be ok?!? Also if they really knew my neighbor who’s a huge dog lover like I and my immediate neighbors do know she wouldn’t do that to her dogs.

Should have asked you first before calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Sorry that happened. S/he should've at least knocked on the door to speak to you first!

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post

I really really want to post an FYI huskies like cold on our subdivision fb group but am going to refrain.
    If you want to do this after you've calmed down, just as an FYI, I do not think there's anything wrong with it. We have a "dog lady" neighbor who fosters dogs and does this occasionally. I remember her posting about a cold loving dog a few years ago. St. Bernard I think. And one time she had a dog with severe separation anxiety who would yelp like crazy if she was out of sight. The dog lady doesn't live close to me, but I saw her at the neighborhood party one year and asked if she did it because she received lots of complaints. No, never a one. Just an FYI. If she sees (r hears in the case of the yelping dog) something that would concern her if she wasn't in the know, she assumes someone else would.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It is 0 here, my Newf is sound asleep on the deck, we keep making her come in and she keeps going back out. She loves it out there, we keep checking on her and making her come in for a little, but she keeps ringing the bell to go back out and sleep on the snow.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

At 20 degrees? Seriously? That’s insane!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

It was an inconvenience and too bad the neighbors didn’t talk to you first, but even huskies aren’t always fine outside and glad someone called if they were concerned. It sounds like your dog likes it, but without a place to get off the snow or cold ground it can be too cold. Even for huskies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I could understand the concern if the dog was whining or crying or begging to come in, but happily outside? Let him have fun!

Our dogs are mutts but both have very thick fur and the LOVE being outside in the snow. I remember friends coming over one snowy day and wondering where our dogs were -- and being shocked to find them all spread out relaxing in the snow. We have warm dog houses for them outside too (they come inside too, but so they have a warm place when they're outside), and if it's snowy I never find them anywhere but spread out in the snow!

I'm glad the police realized there wasn't anything worrisome going on and didn't make a big deal of it, but I would have been really annoyed, too.
    Lizi

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My friend each winter posts an FYI on fb for her neighbors as she has huskies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast