Thread: Seriously?

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Seriously?

Let me start by saying this is a total first world problem, but I need to vent so I can move on!

So in July I posted this: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...83#post4258383

We ended up buying a house in late August that came fully furnished and had a boat dock, lift, and boat for $40K less than the other house. It's a cute house and is very much DH's style. I'm in different about it. It's fine. Not really my style but that kind of stuff doesn't bother me. Totally the look DH was going for. We got in a bidding war with another couple, as there were three offers on it before it even hit the market, and won by $500 (Thank you HGTV for teaching me to always end an offer in an uneven number)

So DH calls me yesterday. The owners of the original house have decided they need to sell and were wondering if we were still interested. Um.....REALLY???? I knew this would happen. I just love this house and now I can't stop thinking about it again. I need to move on and just be happy we have a nice lake house, as not everyone can afford it. I think I just need to mourn my loss for a day or two AGAIN and then I'll be fine.

But really people, why couldn't you just have sold me the house the first time??

That sucks! When we knew we were going to move house, we put out feelers to see if anyone was interested in a sale-by-owner situation. Our neighbors actually wanted to buy the house, but then backed out, so we put the house on the market. We should have drawn up the realtor contract to exclude a sale to these people in case they came back, but we didn't. Then they came back and ultimately bought the house, but we had to pay the realtor commission even though we negotiated the entire deal completely without their help. We did negotiate the commission down, but still! Just make up your mind, people!!!

Would it be worth low balling these owners? If you could get the house you love for less than what you paid for the house you're in, it could cover moving costs, and it might be worth it to sell the house you don't love as much to get the one you adore. I would think you've got nothing to lose and should try it. They might be desperate to sell if they're coming back to you.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What does your DH say?

I am guessing that other house isn't on the water?

I think you should go look at it again and I bet it will be clear to you that you should either stay put or go for it. You have to be on the same page though and if my DH was very opposed, it would be a no go for me.