Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Sick of being the one who does stuff

My DH will do things, but I definitely have to push it to get done. He’s not very handy, can put up curtain rods, but no major repairs. My dad can do anything and so can my mom, so I get very frustrated with DH when he can’t/won’t do something. He’ll argue he doesn’t know how to do things that my parents taught me (eg caulking shower) but I’ve watched YouTube videos to teach me things like how to use caulking gun properly, which he’s capable of doing. I also go to hardware store, usually smaller store than Hone Depot, and I’ll ask somebody for help and they’ll explain how to snake the drain for example. DH doesn’t like to admit to a guy he can’t do those things, so I’m the one to go ask. I’m the one to research and figure it out and then I’ll nag and he’ll finally help me to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

hillview is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Here it is:

Women Aren't Nags-- We're Just Fed Up
    http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture...nder-equality/

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Yes to this.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    Yes to this.
    Ugh, I hate this stereotype of women nagging men all the time when the only reason it happens is because men don't do what they said they would do in the first place! I seriously get so mad if my DH even hints that I'm nagging him about something.
    It also constantly amazes me how DH really has no sense of responsibility when it comes to caring for the kids. It can be 10 minutes before we have to leave the house for something and he sits down to play Zelda because he is ready--nevermind the fact that I'm trying to get myself and 2 kids ready plus pack a diaper bag. To him, he is only responsible for himself. Sometimes on his days off he will be playing with the kids one minute and the next minute he is off taking a nap. I could never do that, because who would watch the kids? He just doesn't feel the burden of caring for the kids like I do.
    Last edited by petesgirl; 01-07-2018 at 12:06 AM.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

amandabea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I’m sorry so sorry OP. I will give my DH major props for doing EVERYTHING around the house—everything except MY laundry (which he nags me about staying on top of). My DH is not very handy—he’d prefer to hire out to an expert. But he is an extreme control freak and has a “do now, don’t put it off personality”, so he is on top of everything. I do little to nothing. Now in my defense I CAN do it and will, and I used to have to before we were married as I had my own house and enjoyed doing handy work. But now DH stays home and I work, so household chores, tasks, stuff fall to him and he does it all.
    mommy to DD 1/07

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

YEP!!! Something spills and they all just sit there...

DH spilled water on the nicest piece of furniture in the house last night. Actually, on the pretty cloth I have covering it... He took one piece of paper towel and moved it all around... BUT got mad at me when I took over.... I would have been livid if this piece of furniture was water stained, we are talking a custom thousands of dollars piece (the only expensive piece of furniture in the house)!

I went to unclog a toilet the other day and the plunger was turned inside out. DH had used it last... Granted, I knew it was soon going to need replacing, but TELL ME so I am not bundling up the kids to go get a PLUNGER so the bathroom will work!

However, he has told me I am not "allowed" to "tell him what to do" because I am always nagging! UGH!!!!

DH is a good guy, but sometimes he just doesn't think!

California is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Inspired by this thread, over dinner tonight I suggested to DH that for a couple of weeks he takes on my responsibilities around the home, and I take on his. We already split up meal planning, some grocery shopping, dishes and laundry. Our kids' eyes were glued to us. DH had a couple of questions, then agrees to it. DS: "This is going to be like a TV sitcom episode!" Next step: Making some master lists. This should be interesting!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    Inspired by this thread, over dinner tonight I suggested to DH that for a couple of weeks he takes on my responsibilities around the home, and I take on his. We already split up meal planning, some grocery shopping, dishes and laundry. Our kids' eyes were glued to us. DH had a couple of questions, then agrees to it. DS: "This is going to be like a TV sitcom episode!" Next step: Making some master lists. This should be interesting!
    Wow, this is awesome! Definitely update with how it goes! Hopefully it's eye opening to him. You both WOH right?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Iknowamodonhere Guest

Default dry

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    You have my sympathy too! I was just telling DS1 yesterday that when he spills water he needs to clean it up himself immediately. (This is after he spilled his 40oz water bottle on my hardwood floors! I asked DH to help DS1 wipe that up immediately!) A few months back I found DS1's water bottle in a puddle of water in the living room. I asked him why it's there and his answer was I told you I spilled the water. Uggh! Is it not obvious to clean up spilled liquids immediately?
    I thought it would dry... (stupid me)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3