Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default No where else to vent right now.

It's straight up been a rough year. We have had health issues and stress/anxiety issues and I've felt at the end of my rope on a regular basis.

We haven't seen DH's brother's family in 11 years. They live on the other side of the country. They are in town with about 4 days to hang out with us (traveling to visit schools for their DD). Last night the kids met for the first time and DS just adores his cousin. Today we were supposed to meet at a kid's museum, but one of the girls suddenly sparked a fever. DH has to work and I have no one I could ask to stay with her so we just had to cancel for today. DS age 5 was seriously crying like his heart was broken because he wanted to see his "new" cousin so badly. It was absolutely heart-wrenching and then my DD started sobbing because she felt so awful that it was "her fault". I damn near NEVER cry and they had me tearing up.

Once every 11 year visits are just way too high stakes. I can't handle the emotional stress. Winter SUCKS.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

oh gosh that sounds so so so awful. I am so sorry. Might be not possible or too late but could you drop him with cousins and uncle / aunt?
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

So sorry about this. Your poor DC, and poor mama too. It feels so unfair. Hugs all around.
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    oh gosh that sounds so so so awful. I am so sorry. Might be not possible or too late but could you drop him with cousins and uncle / aunt?
    That's what I was thinking! I'm sure it is too late now but I would have tried this. I'm so sorry your little guy lost that opportunity. This year I had two nieces born so when my kids were sick, I had no backup (usually I have grandma and grandpa but they were getting ready to spend time with newborns!). It was really tough. I hope everyone at your house feels better quick and that you get another shot at seeing cousins before 11 years pass by again.

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We had something similar happen last Christmas. Missed a chance to see far-away relatives because of a fever. It is SUCH a bummer!!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm sorry! That stinks. I was thinking the same thing as pp--can they come and get him to spend the day or half a day with cousins?

My DC got sick with a fever on Christmas Eve that lasted 5 days. 3 days later another DC got a 5 day fever. We too missed cousin time.
    K

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

That is so frustrating~! I agree, the stakes feel so high with long gaps between visits. We're in the same boat for this summer and I'm hoping for healthy kids and good weather or else it could be a total bust.

On the plus side, it sounds like a good connection was forged between the cousins in the little time they did have together. Maybe if she attends school nearby there will be more opportunities to get together.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).