Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Baby Names

I like a different version of a family name. For example, my father is James and YDS is Jamison. I also like all versions of “Alexander” for boys. ODS’ middle name is “Alessandro.” That being said, some of my favorite names are:

Girls:
    Genevieve
    Evangeline
    Isabelle
    Alice
    Beverly
    Gail/Gayle
    Elaine
    Malia
    Adeline

Boys:
    Adam
    Solomon
    Noah
    Nicholas
    Xavier
    Quinton
    Gabriel
    Myles

Thank you everyone so far! I'm starting a list of the names I like, then will show them to DH, and we'll narrow it down from there.

But I could use more ideas please. I have a baby name book and have tried online lists too, but haven't found names yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bb7mommy View Post
    Thank you everyone so far! I'm starting a list of the names I like, then will show them to DH, and we'll narrow it down from there.

But I could use more ideas please. I have a baby name book and have tried online lists too, but haven't found names yet.
    How about going by your heritage? Yours and DH? I’m Irish and Dh is Irish/Italian. Our oldest name isn’t from either as it turns out, we just loved his classical simple name. We went with an Irish name for our youngest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

I cannot abide 'new' and made up names, especially when there are so many beautiful real names, with meaning and history, around.
    In my kids' schools we have an Eiffel (yup, like the tower), a Reagan, a Temple (!!!), a Captain, a Waverly, a Bijoux, a Wolf, a Greer, and a bunch of Carters, Logans, Jaydens, Averys, Pipers etc. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I come across a Theodore or a Clara, or any 'real' name for that matter, as they are so few and far between in my area!

For boys, I love:
    Max, Alastair, Zachery, Nathanial (Nate is such a great nickname!), William, Henry, Raphael, Rowan...

Girls
    Eleanor, Louisa, Annabel, Lucille, Alice, Beatrice, Angelica... so many pretty names out there, and lots with lovely meaning. Congrats on your impending delivery!

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We went with names we liked the sounds/spellings of for first names, then family names for their middle names. Can't remember our lists exactly, it's been a few years, but some of our favorites were:

GIRLS
    Eleanor
    Elisabeth
    Mathilda
    Imogen
    Beatrix/Beatrice
    Alice
    Margaret
    Annika
    Ilse

BOYS
    Oliver
    Emmet
    Everett
    Rhys
    Jens
    Nicholas
    Harold

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

On a road trip, I printed out the top 500 social security lists for both boys and girls. I read each name and crossed it out unless we both said "yes". That got us to a short list.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Bb7mommy View Post

Well, if either DD had been a boy, he would have been Calvin Isaac. I also had Ruth and Kay on my list for girls.

But our names were all somehow connected to family names. DS has my maiden name as his first, and his DH's father's name as his middle. DD1 has a slight variation on several great aunts' names and her middle name is my grandmother's middle name. DD2 has my 8-greats-grandmother's name and her middle name was the middle name my mom wanted to give me.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Baby Names

Quote Originally Posted by twotimesblue View Post
    I cannot abide 'new' and made up names, especially when there are so many beautiful real names, with meaning and history, around.
    In my kids' schools we have an Eiffel (yup, like the tower), a Reagan, a Temple (!!!), a Captain, a Waverly, a Bijoux, a Wolf, a Greer, and a bunch of Carters, Logans, Jaydens, Averys,
    Names like Reagan, Carter, and Greer are most likely big names in the southern states, especially for girls. You didn’t state it but Kennedy is somewhat big in SoCal as well. These names aren’t new either. 25+ years ago I went to junior high school, and high school (in a smallish sized farm city of 30k people in NorCal) with a boy named Avery so he is 42 now! First Avery I every met; and still the only one I ever knew who was a boy (turns out Avery was a boys name way before it was a girls name). I grew up or went to college with a few Reagans in the 80s and 90s.

From what I understand in the south it can be common to name children after the mother using their maiden name. The one Carter we know is a boy and his name is exactly that.....his mother’s maiden name. She is from Houston. Carter’s brother’s name is Edward, and his sister is Lucy. Perfectly normal classic names.

Classic names are very much on the rise here and have been for quite sometime imho. We know more Charlottes, Katherines, Audreys, Lilys, Emmas, and Madelines for girls than we do girls with trendy names. I also hear the name Annie more now as an adult than I did when I was a kid. Annie was 388 in 1977 when I was born; it was 287 in 2016. Growing up I was the only Annie in my grade from kindergarten through high school; the only other Annie I knew was two years ahead of me in high school and guess what.....DH dated her for a bit in high school so about 5 years before I met him....guess he really liked the name!

2016 top 10 baby names:
    RankMale nameFemale name
    1Noah Emma
    2Liam Olivia
    3William Ava
    4Mason Sophia
    5James. Isabella
    6Benjamin Mia
    7Jacob. Charlotte
    8Michael. Abigail
    9Elijah. Emily
    10Ethan. Harper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-21-2018 at 10:45 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    On a road trip, I printed out the top 500 social security lists for both boys and girls. I read each name and crossed it out unless we both said "yes". That got us to a short list.
    This is a great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twotimesblue View Post
    In my kids' schools we have an Eiffel (yup, like the tower), a Reagan, a Temple (!!!), a Captain, a Waverly, a Bijoux, a Wolf, a Greer, and a bunch of Carters, Logans, Jaydens, Averys, Pipers etc.

Reagan was (spelled Regan) was a character in a Shakespeare play, so not so new. TBH, the Reagan spelling is so much more common now, using that over Regan would probably save your child a lot of fixing spelling corrections. Name spellings change; for example in the past Mathilda was by far the more common spelling but Matilda has largely taken over.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast