Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Oh ok. We don't do anything like that in our family. So it would be unusual for us.

We dont do anything like this either - playing one parent off the other is a punishable offense. I did this as a kid between my mother and Grandmother (whom we lived with) and it wasn't good. At times I'd even threaten my grandmother with telling my mom that she'd allowed me to do something if I wanted to do something else. I do NOT want my kids doing it!

That being said, I would have said something to "Adele" at the time about not keeping secrets from her mother and moved on. Even as strict as I am about it, I would not expect to be told. Just assume the kid is kidding or whatever and let it go.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We don't do the "don't tell dad" thing in our family, but I don't think her statement is weird at all. Didn't you try a gazillion different ways to get something you wanted badly as a kid? She may have even been playing it up to be funny. Even if she wasn't, I think it's a very normal kid thing.

Bear in mind that she was still seeking permission - from YOU. I'd be worried if she stole it. Seeking permission, albeit in a less than ideal way? Not worrisome. I can see a friend mentioning something like that to me as a funny anecdote, but not with concern.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Huh? Why? Because we might meet an 11 year old named Adele who wants candy before lunch?
    Because people shouldn't use their kids' real names on public forums for privacy reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    Because people shouldn't use their kids' real names on public forums for privacy reasons.
    This struck me as a weird admonishment too. The OP put the name in quotes which usually means a false name. While I agree it's wise not to use real names for privacy reasons, I wouldn't scold someone for doing so.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    We dont do anything like this either - playing one parent off the other is a punishable offense. I did this as a kid between my mother and Grandmother (whom we lived with) and it wasn't good. At times I'd even threaten my grandmother with telling my mom that she'd allowed me to do something if I wanted to do something else. I do NOT want my kids doing it!
    This is NOT what I’m talking about at all. We don’t keep secrets from each other nor do we encourage our kids to keep secrets from either parent. DS1 adores donuts but Dunkin Donuts isn’t safe for DS2. It’s not fair to DS1 that he would never get to eat them. We indulge him if he’s out without DS2.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Thank you everyone for your comments.
    Mackmama, your hope is correct. "Adele" isn't her first name and isn't close-sounding to her real name. That's why I put the name in quotations. I thought that was obvious, but I will be more clear in the future.
    Last edited by magnoliaparadise; 01-15-2018 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magnoliaparadise View Post
    Thank you everyone for your comments.
    I thought that was obvious, but I will be more clear in the future.
    The quotes did make it obvious, I don't think you need to make it clearer. I'm not sure why else there would have been quotes.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

But let’s assume Adele was her real name. Or it was Madele. Find me a starving 11 year old who doesn’t want candy before lunch. It’s not really a privacy breach.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I, too, thought the story would end in stealing. I think it’s perfectly normal. Your kids may do something like that when not with you!

I also thought she was going to grab the bag, open it, and just start eating it!!!

I don't see an issue.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    OP, your inner voice seems to want you to intervene quite often on things. Occasionally I’ve agreed with you but more often, I think you should quiet that voice. Step back and think through what you hope to gain as well as what could go wrong with your intervention.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it depends upon one's view of what is "quite often". I just reviewed the threads that I started and I found a handful of posts in which I had asked advice on whether to intervene. In the other (approximately 120) threads, I did not.

You said, "your inner voice seems to want to intervene quite often on things". While I have at times *requested* advice on BBB on whether to intervene, the posts reflect uncertainty or questioning of whether to intervene - not necessarily a desire to intervene.

But, in any event, I agree with your point that it's always a good idea to step back and think through what one hopes to gain as well as what could go wrong with one's intervention.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast